Computer Security - Colleges - Programs / Languages

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by darkstellar, May 26, 2013.

1. darkstellar macrumors newbie

:confused:I'm currently choosing between two colleges and their programs. Both are in the computer and network security sector. My primary interests are: Privacy, Data/Information Assurance, Computer & Network Security, Penetration Testing, etc.

DSU Teaches: SQL, JavaScript, HTML, XML, Visual Basic, Assembly Language and Linear Programming. It also goes in depth about Databases.

Penn State Teaches: C++ and only a little about data.

However, Penn State is the much more "known" college; yet I think DSU's program/course load looks better.

Here's Penn State's Course List for their program: http://www.worldcampus.psu.edu/degrees-and-certificates/security-and-risk-analysis-bachelors/course-list

Here's DSU's Course List for their program: http://catalog.dsu.edu/preview_program.php?poid=567

Which program would you recommend is best suited for me?

Thank you very much!

2. chown33 macrumors 604

I recommend talking to the guidance counselors at your high school.

No one here knows anything about you, so why should you trust anything we told you?

Getting random advice from strangers found on the internet is somewhat like placing randomly found things in your mouth. I.e. it may not be the safest long-term strategy.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They probably just use c++ to teach you the basic concepts. Looking at the other classes offered by Penn state I couldn't imagine them being able to teach those subjects without getting into other languages.

You might look at a CS degree if you are worried about there being too much fluff.

4. MegamanX macrumors regular

yeah the programming languages taught in school should not be worried about. They are more their to teach you the concepts of programming.

In school we focused on Java and I also took classes in C#. In the year since I have gotten out I have done a handful of lines of C# for work. Grand total of 0 lines of Java, hell I only recently looked at a java project for work helping out a co worker oh and I have learned 2 new programming langages for work. I currently spend most of my time in Object-C which is yes among the 2 new langages I have learned in the pass year.

5. blevins321 macrumors 68030

I'd try to find an Obj-C course if you're at all interested in mobile development. Otherwise any language is based on the same principles. I learned Java at my college and use VB.net in my career with no formal education in it. It was very easy to pickup and just relearn a few syntax nuances.

That said, database querying and programming is becoming more and more essential. Universities are just starting to catch up with the real world. Given the choice, I'd pick the program that gave the most exposure in that area; including data mining.