Computer settings to increase battery life

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MindBrain, Mar 19, 2010.

1. MindBrain macrumors regular

Hello I was wondering if anyone knows of other ways to control the computer to preserve battery life. I'm thinking mostly about underclocking the cpu. Does anyone know if this is possible and also if this would benefit the battery life? I'm on Aluminum Macbook OS X 10.5.8 Thanks

2. CJS7070 macrumors 6502a

CJS7070

How much battery life are you aiming to save?

3. MindBrain thread starter macrumors regular

Well whatever I could get would be good. Question is how much processing power does the computer have that I don't need at a given time. If all I'm doing is looking at some web pages or listening to MP3 then why not run the computer at 1 or 1.4ghz

Just wondering if this is possible, how do I see details about the cpu and can it be lowered, anyone try it, would it help the battery?

Edit: I hear the SpeedStep thing in the intel processor already does something like this, I'll read some more google results for "underclocking" seems there might be a way but I don't know how safe it is..

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The CPU is not running at 2.4GHz all the time, only when needed.

5. MindBrain thread starter macrumors regular

I'll look into the CoolBook program, seems to help a lot of people. I'd like to know if the program is totally safe to use though

6. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I agree. The CPU clocks down when not needed.

7. nigameash macrumors 6502

Hmm you could try reducing the load from two cpus to one? ie: run only 1 cpu instead of 2? Of course that could degrade the cpu in terms of life.

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

There is only one CPU in the MacBook or any other Mac except the Power Mac and Mac Pro.