Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I use a Dual 2.0 G5 PM with 2.5 gigs of ram. I'm pleased with the performance in Photoshop CS2.

I want a better video card, so I can play around with Aperture.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
Mike Teezie said:
I use a Dual 2.0 G5 PM with 2.5 gigs of ram. I'm pleased with the performance in Photoshop CS2.

I want a better video card, so I can play around with Aperture.

Does CS2 offer better performance than CS1? I'm thinking about getting CS2 student edition.

clintob

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
New York, NY
CrackedButter said:
Does CS2 offer better performance than CS1? I'm thinking about getting CS2 student edition.

In my opinion, although not heavily different in terms of "features", CS2 is one of the most significant improvements PS has seen in a long time. CS2 is a fantastic, robust app, and it fixed a lot of the buggy annoyances that plagued CS1 (uses dual processor setups more efficiently, uses RAM more efficiently, increased redraw times, better 16-but support, handles fonts MUCH better, etc).

In addition to the stability aspects, CS2 has added some LONG overdue changes to the layers palette that are wonderful. You can work with layers just as any file in the OS. Instead of "linking" layers, you can now merely Cmd+Click or Shift+Click on layers to select more than one at a time. When you have multiple layers selected, just hit Cmd+G and bam, they're grouped in a folder. And there's tons more where that came from. HUGE usability improvements in my opinion.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
clintob said:
In my opinion, although not heavily different in terms of "features", CS2 is one of the most significant improvements PS has seen in a long time. CS2 is a fantastic, robust app, and it fixed a lot of the buggy annoyances that plagued CS1 (uses dual processor setups more efficiently, uses RAM more efficiently, increased redraw times, better 16-but support, handles fonts MUCH better, etc).

In addition to the stability aspects, CS2 has added some LONG overdue changes to the layers palette that are wonderful. You can work with layers just as any file in the OS. Instead of "linking" layers, you can now merely Cmd+Click or Shift+Click on layers to select more than one at a time. When you have multiple layers selected, just hit Cmd+G and bam, they're grouped in a folder. And there's tons more where that came from. HUGE usability improvements in my opinion.

Okay thanks for your input on that. I should really check out a review online as well.

http://www.macupdate.com/reviews.php?id=13553 - this review is funny but also disheartening. I think I will try it out on the PPC macs at uni first. I know it already sucks on the intel iMacs under emulation.

I think I will wait for CS3.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Dark said:
I am more of a casual Photoshop User so thats not my main issue. However I do use Aperture just about every day. I do realize that the new chips are coming out soon(Woodcrest?)so that may hold me back.

Your G5 iMac is probably fairly comparable to my 1st Generation PowerMac (2003: 1.8GHz SP, with 1.5GB RAM).

I'm using Photoshop CS2 (I skipped CS1) and in general, I've been simply using iPhoto (with only JPEGs) instead of the more resource-intensive apps (Aperture, Adobe Bridge, Lightroom). Once I narrow down which particual composition/exposure I want, I then manually import the RAW version into CS2 to work on. For revision control, I've been loading everything in its own directory as per my structure, then directing iPhoto to import them into its. This does increase storage needs, but I only import JPEG's into iPhoto, so its not really bad.

In broadest terms, I don't really have any system performance problems, but I probably am unconciously working around some of them: I tend to shut down a lot of background stuff to make sure that my CPU is as free as possible. For example, shut down iTunes.

When I do hit a performance wall, it usually seems to be more related to disk access on an open/close more than needing the CPU to apply an effect. As such, I'd probably look to installing a Firewire-800 RAID to speed this part of the system up before adding more RAM.

FWIW, I don't think that my G5 meets minimum specs for Aperture (video card), so I've not bought it. I do have Bridge & Lightroom and have worked a little with Bridge, so as to do batch renaming work. I found it to be an incredibly slow "takes hours and hours" chore when working with long (thousands) file lists. My basic solution here was to avoid using Bridge except for when I must (file renames) and then breaking it down into smaller batches (just 100-200 files at a time). To a certain degree, this "too big to swallow" problem was an artifact of going on a long vacation and coming back with a huge amount of work.

For my next system, I'm inclined to go with a Mac Pro (tower) with an Aperature-recommended video card, but will probably wait until Adobe ships CS3.

-hh

sblasl

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2004
Heber Springs, AR
peas said:
overall i wish i just bought an eizo s2410w display to begin with

What is your experience with Eizo Displays and can you comment on the s2410w specifically? What are your thought about the stand/base for adjusting? What ever you can tell me would help.

Thanks

eXan

macrumors 601
Jan 10, 2005
Russia
Rickay726 said:
its a shame imac g5's only hold 2.5 gb ram.

as for the kid with the amazing macpro setup, i cant bring my self to figure out how you dont like it? i would die for a computer like that.

as for my iMac i only have 512 ram and run lightroom and CS2 on it sure it lags, buy my 2gb ram is on the way ;)

Only rev. C iMacs G5 could hold 2.5 gigs of RAM (0.5 + 2 GB sticks). The original poster has rev. B iMac G5 (as do I). Revisions A and B only support 2 gigs (1 + 1 GB sticks)

Anyway, I also find Aperture extremely slow on my iMac (which is same as yours, except for smaller HD and monitor). But I find Photoshop to run fine on it for my needs (Web graphics and Lens Correction filter).

I think you should get a 2.66 GHz Mac Pro with at least 2 gigs of RAM. Dont bother with new 4-core Intel processors, it will use the same bus, so performance increase might not be as high as 2x, even if you find a way to unilize all four cores in the current Mac Pros :)

greenmac

macrumors regular
Aug 11, 2006
Adelaide
Yeah, I'm really looking into the stock configuration Mac Pro + Bluetooth right now. I think that would be my best bet. Then, I could just hook it up to my 26in. Panasonic HDTV and I would be set.

Unless your TV is 1920 X 1080, I wouldnt bother, Most of them are 1366 X 768 which is fine for watching TV, but using as a monitor just is't good enough.

I have a 2.6Ghz with X1900, photography is a hobby, the computer runs great, sure photoshop isn't the best, but nothing that more RAM, and UB couldn't fix.
Lag with widgets, well maybe if I'm running dreamweaver, PS, Mail, Safari,etc,etc, again nothing that RAM and UB cant fix, and when tiger is released with true 64bit capability...
Expensive Machine, yes, but you get a fast computer now, which should outlast a new iMac, IMO

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.