Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
Hello I know this has been stated before on the forums but I have been unable to find an answer to this.

I have a MacBook Pro i7 15" 2010 model 8GBs ram with 330m GT 512vram

Anyway I installed windows in bootcamp for gaming which I have done many times before. When I first got this computer I had no problems overclocking it and I had no heat problems or anything. Now I am running with no over clocks or anything and I'm having heat problems. I am using a cooler master laptop cooling pad that many have suggested. Even with no Overclocking and a good laptop cooling pad my processor still hits 105C which forces shutdown also my GPU sometimes hits 98C etc even when playing older games like need for speed underground 2. iStatpro says that all fans are running at 6000RPM. I have only had this happen in windows so far.

So what should I do? I really want to play games but I don't see that happening. Even when I'm running nothing at all just running idle in windows my temp jumps sporadically from 60C to 97C it generally stays around 85C idle though.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Hello I know this has been stated before on the forums but I have been unable to find an answer to this.

I have a MacBook Pro i7 15" 2010 model 8GBs ram with 330m GT 512vram

Anyway I installed windows in bootcamp for gaming which I have done many times before. When I first got this computer I had no problems overclocking it and I had no heat problems or anything. Now I am running with no over clocks or anything and I'm having heat problems. I am using a cooler master laptop cooling pad that many have suggested. Even with no Overclocking and a good laptop cooling pad my processor still hits 105C which forces shutdown also my GPU sometimes hits 98C etc even when playing older games like need for speed underground 2. iStatpro says that all fans are running at 6000RPM. I have only had this happen in windows so far.

So what should I do? I really want to play games but I don't see that happening. Even when I'm running nothing at all just running idle in windows my temp jumps sporadically from 60C to 97C it generally stays around 85C idle though.
For the temps to jump around this much you either have a problem with your windows install or a rogue process eating away at your CPU.

I'd delete and reinstall bootcamp, and reset the SMC, see how that goes.

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
For the temps to jump around this much you either have a problem with your windows install or a rogue process eating away at your CPU.

I'd delete and reinstall bootcamp, and reset the SMC, see how that goes.

Its a fresh install and I've not installed very much just the bootcamp drivers and Steam I am not using that much processing power between 5-9 percent on idle and the fans are always at 6000RPM but i have not tried resetting the SMC I will try this! Thanks for mentioning it I forgot all about that I bet this will fix it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Its a fresh install and I've not installed very much just the bootcamp drivers and Steam I am not using that much processing power between 5-9 percent on idle and the fans are always at 6000RPM but i have not tried resetting the SMC I will try this! Thanks for mentioning it I forgot all about that I bet this will fix it.
Did it?

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
I think it worked!!! I just ran the same game that kept over heating my computer and although it still got hot it did not shutdown from over heating. I played for about 30 mins usually it shutdown after about 10mins.

Thanks! I just needed to reset my SMC

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I think it worked!!! I just ran the same game that kept over heating my computer and although it still got hot it did not shutdown from over heating. I played for about 30 mins usually it shutdown after about 10mins.

Thanks! I just needed to reset my SMC

Great to hear.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.