Computer sleep "Never" for cMP

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by krishnaM, Feb 10, 2016.

1. krishnaM macrumors regular

Hi guys,
    I want to choose the computer sleep 'Never' setting for my cMP 2009 (Mavericks, cpu 3.46G, 48G RAM, 2 sata ssds, 1 pcie ssd and 3 WD spin drives) as the usb3 Lacie external drive keeps getting ejected during sleep and I get this annoying 'External drive not ejected properly' message repeatedly. I am presuming if apple gave that option means it is ok to use. However most threads I read were mostly about sleep vs shut down. Is it ok to leave the computer running 24/7 (without shut down or sleep)?

Krishna

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Yep

3. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Sure, you can do anything you like (nice to pay your power bill, I suppose :D )

Why not just eject that one drive as a last step before you put your cMP to sleep, if it is the only one that gives you challenges?
    I always have sleep set for "never", then when I am ready, simply press Control-Eject, and then press S. Takes less than a second to do that, and I control when sleep happens. I generally don't leave drives mounted, but it's an old habit that I have never felt necessary to change ...

4. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

Use "Jettison" app to automatically eject disks on sleep

5. krishnaM thread starter macrumors regular

I had it initially set at 15 min (default setting) but then the computer goes to sleep every time I walk away for more than 15 min. I was just wondering what could go wrong if I turn off the sleep setting altogether. Of course it'll increase power consumption but I hate that 'Disk not ejected properly' message. I never tried the "Jettison" app. May be that is the answer for my situation.

6. h9826790 macrumors 604

h9826790

My 4,1 never sleep / off since 2009 (escept hardware upgrade, maintenance, etc). The Mac Pro is designed to run 24/7 (under stress) for many many years. Don't worry about that.

7. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Just picked up on this thread. I'm having the same problem and had to change to never sleep to stop the disk not ejected message.
    I'll have a look at the Jettison app.
    Thanks

8. krishnaM thread starter macrumors regular

'Jettison' is definitely useful as it ejects the external drives automatically befoe the computer goes to sleep and I don't get that annoying message any more. It is available on mac app store.

9. KevWind macrumors member

KevWind

Yes all studios and home recordists run their Macs with sleep "never" selected

10. DPUser macrumors 6502a

I sure do, but I also power down when the shop is closed. With SSD booting, I have to wait a whole 15 seconds to be up and running.

11. KevWind macrumors member

KevWind

Yes I power down when I leave the studio also although with HDD it takes over a minute to boot up BUT that will be changing next week when the PCIe SSD arrives !!

12. kschendel macrumors 6502a

You probably have the idea now, but ... my 2009 4,1 cMP gets powered down maybe 4 times a year. The rest of the time it's running Linux with no suspend enabled, so no sleeping. I had an infant mortality on one of the 4 drives at about a year, and that's it. Don't worry about not sleeping your MP unless the slightly higher power bill is a problem.

By the way, another option for auto ejecting / remounting is Mountain from appgineers.de -- works for me on a family member's iMac.