Computer Sleep-NEVER-Ok?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trlyka, Jan 18, 2012.

1. trlyka macrumors 6502a

trlyka

A few things I assume don't work if the computer sleeps.

Webcam
    Yahoo IM program (not sure I understand why it disconnects)
    Downloads
    Etc....

I recently set it to 'Never' after being annoyed with my Yahoo IM constantly shutting down and going offline every time the computer went to sleep. Also, I was trying to use my Webcam to leave on all day to watch the dog, but because it goes to sleep and the website it uses, it wouldn't stay on.

So is it ok to leave it like this? My screen goes to sleep which is fine, but I don't necessarily need or want to computer to sleep.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

When your Mac goes to sleep, AirPort (WiFi) is shut off, thus disconnecting you from Yahoo! IM and your downloads stop. Leaving your MacBook turned on is fine. Just be sure you have an adequate power supply.

4. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Yup. Always plugged in with an occasional trip to the bedroom for a short while. And if I knew it would be unplugged for travel or something w/o access to power, I would change the setting.

Thanks

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Caffeine will temporarily override your energy saver settings and keep your Mac awake with a click on the Menu Bar icon. Another click turns it off.

To keep your MBP awake with the lid closed, use InsomniaX or InsomniaT (rebuild for SL) (fix for 2011 MPBs)

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The sleep feature of all modern computers, be they PC's Macs etc is a legacy from the day's of phosphor screens which caused "burn in" on monitors.

In the dark old day's of command prompt only computing, the screens would actually burn an image into the screen that would remain visible permanently.

With the advent of Windows and the GUI in general, screensavers were put in place to prolong the life of the cathode tube screens computers used. As time progressed, screensavers became a kind of cottage industry with fancy graphics, interactivity etc.

Later came the power down settings, allowing hard drives, modems, fans etc, to idle thus prolonging component life.

7. warvanov macrumors 6502a

Being annoyed with stuff like that doesn't work when your computer goes to sleep is like being annoyed that it gets dark when the sun goes down.

8. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

I like the dark vs. sun

9. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

lol. Well, Sun means solar energy...

10. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Pish-posh...Solar energy :rolleyes:

:D

11. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

It disconnects because it's not connected to anything when the computer goes to sleep. Your HD spins down and there's nothing to connect to the Yahoo service.

If you want to always stay online, do you have an iPod Touch or iPhone? Install YIM on either one, and it'll always be up and running.

As far as the other stuff, sure, you'd need to leave your computer on all the time, but if you find you just want YIM when you're not remote-monitoring your dog and whatnot, I think the app is the ticket. ;)

12. saberahul macrumors 68040

I would say leave computer on as nothing wrong in that but turn display off as there is no use in burning pixels. I just had a dead pixel which the genius happily replaced for me for free :) (replaced the entire screen that is)

13. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Thanks for the info.

Yes. I have Yahoo IM on all of my devices. When I'm home, I prefer to use it on my computer vs. my iPhone or iPad. I miss the Windows version on Yahoo IM. It had a lot more options like talking emoticons and skin options :confused:

----------

I do have the screen set to turn off. I'm fine with that and prefer not to have it on if I'm not using it for a while. Glad to hear you got your screen replaced w/o any issues. I will be getting Applecare so I assume something like the screen is covered if I have that?

14. kasakka macrumors 68000

Just set the sleep to 2-3 hours and display sleep to 15-25 minutes when plugged into power. Then if you're away for a while the display goes to sleep but the computer stays on. If you don't do anything on it for several hours the computer goes to sleep.

15. sunnyj macrumors 6502

For watching your dog part when not home You can download a screen sharing app called iteleport. This app allows you to wake up your computer remotely from sleep by using the iPhone. This way you can log in whenever you want to see the dog.

16. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Aside from being able to wake my computer, does it allow you to see the webcam too? I saw a video where it shows using Photo Booth on the Mac then accessing it from your iPhone/iPad. I'll have to try it. Thanks!

For some reason, I can't see the webcam from the Mac on my work computer. I don't know if it's an adobe issue or what. I can see our other 2 cams, but they use a program from the hosting site, but the program doesn't work on the Mac. So on the Mac, it's just the site and webcam that is on, but no program like the other 2. On my husbands Dell laptop, we have to start the webcam on that first, start the other program from the hosting site, then close the webcam program on the laptop in order to see the webcam online. On the other laptop, it's an external webcam and we just simply start the program which turns on the webcam and launches the site. I can see both on my iPhone and work computer, but not the Mac webcam. I think it's a conflict on the site with using just the raw site to view the webcam on the Mac vs. using a program we downloaded from their site.

Perhaps the program we use supports something other then flash where as without it, it's a different option straight from the site. It must be otherwise I wouldn't see it on my iPhone?

I need a site that works with Mac and iPhone. I think we have to take some time and sit and find another hosting site. Or I'll try the iteleport.

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

Depends. Your mac comes with a 1 yr warranty. AC just adds in 2 more years after the 1 yr or 3 years in total. That being said, Apple holds every right not to replace your screen if you have just 1 or 2 dead pixels. Their rule is that you must have 4 bright ones or 6 dark ones for them to repair for free (if still under warranty).
    In my case, the genius was nice enough to change the entire screen with just 1 dead pixel without charging me a penny... they tend to do that (if they are in a good mood).

18. trlyka thread starter macrumors 6502a

trlyka

Ah I see. Well, I went to Apple when I had my first 3GS and had an issue with the battery. They replaced it with no problem. We have invested thousands in Apple products over that past few years. Hopefully that counts for something :rolleyes:

19. TheIguana macrumors 6502a

TheIguana

Just keep in mind that keeping your MBP plugged in all the time can be bad for the batteries lifespan. Make sure your running on the battery (to about 50%) at least once a week to keep the electrons moving!