Computer Sleep option missing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by theKitch, Oct 28, 2013.

1. theKitch macrumors member

Looking at my 2009 I have separate sliders for Computer Sleep and Display sleep (running Mavericks). However, on my 2013 I now just get a slider for "Turn display off after".

What gives? I love the ability to sleep the display but leave things like downloads running, chat clients running, etc. Any way to enable this again on my rMBP?

2. teotuf macrumors member

Turn your brightness down to 0.

3. theKitch thread starter macrumors member

That's what I have been doing, but I'd prefer that it just did this automatically. I hate having to reconnect to my VPN and other clients every time the system comes back from sleeping in just a few minutes. For now I'm just using caffeine and turning the brightness down, but it's less than ideal.

I did just find that if the system is plugged in that for the plugged in settings that you can tell it to prevent the computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off. However, even with that box unchecked, it seems to wait an arbitrary amount of time between shutting off the display and sleeping the system.

Honestly, the setting options on the older systems is far less cryptic. I knew exactly what I was getting when I set those options. These new settings are ridiculous and vague.

4. crazyxzer0 macrumors 6502

5. Mark Octavian macrumors newbie

6. Norrin macrumors newbie

7. aristobrat macrumors G4

IIRC, any Mac that has a Haswell processor loses the old Sleep setting. I thought I read it had something to do with a special low-power mode that the processor uses, but I can't find that post now. Seems weird because the Macs will eventually goto sleep regardless, so why not be able to control that?

----------

CONTROL+SHIFT+POWER/EJECT puts my screen to sleep, but leaves everything running.

I've never had mine go into sleep mode when something's running though.

8. buddyspencer macrumors regular

It's stupid... Totally! If I work on battery, I have to manually set the display-sleep slider to off, so that my Mac doesn't go to sleep if I'm working on FTP or other Up and Downloads.

Otherwise they're always interrupted.

Why did Apple do that?

----------

Can't believe... It happens nearly every day on my machine - I have to be very careful in what I'm doing.

9. orangezorki macrumors 6502a

If that's the case, I wonder if the whole machine is going to sleep when the display turns off?

10. buddyspencer macrumors regular

Yes - that's the case. Display off = machine sleep

Stupid!