Computer Sleep when inactive for a certain period of time recommended?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SLR2009, Apr 13, 2009.

1. SLR2009 macrumors regular

Hi, is it recommended to have my mac pro set to go to sleep when inactive for a certain period of time? right now I just have my monitor set to to turn off after 45 minutes of inactivity, the computer stays on all the time. What do you guys do? Any reason why I shouldn't? Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Go ahead and sleep it. It only takes a few seconds to wake and you'll end up saving some power.

3. bartelby macrumors Core

You can also knock the time down. All my computers sleep after 3 minutes of inactivity.

Is there a reason you have it set to 45 minutes?

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3 minutes? That's a little too fast for my tastes, mine is an hour, I think.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

Why?
    If you're not using it what does it matter. After all:
    :)

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Well, I get distracted by things easily, so that is too fast as I'd be waking it up every few minutes. Sometimes, I'll leave the room for a few minutes, but I'll come back within about 5 or 10. I could set it to 15 or 20 minutes - that'd be long enough to not be annoying.

7. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

3 minutes could be a phone call or making a cup of coffee. Jump starting your MP isn't the best thing to keep doing. I'd rather keep it awake for a bit longer than that.

I have mine set to 20 mins. But I have a keyboard shortcut assigned - CMD+CTRL+S so i can quickly sleep and thus lock my computer when i'm away from my desk.

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That's what I'm saying.

OP, sleeping it is a good idea, you just need to find your balance of time before sleep that doesn't become annoying or interrupt your workflow.

9. Abidubi macrumors 6502

I've had all my Macs set to sleep after 15 minutes for the last 10 years. If you're not using it for 15 minutes, there is no reason for it to be on. And considering it takes less than 10 seconds to be back up and running, there is no reason not to sleep it. The display I have set to sleep after 10 minutes.

10. grue macrumors 65816

I sleep my display after 15 minutes, and the computer after 45. Anything less just tends to aggravate me as it seems like it'll invariably sleep as I'm about to get back to whatever I was doing.

What if I just want it to be on?

11. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Hasn't there been issues with sleep and some RAID cards? SO far, my general advice is not to sleep at all with RAID since it -may- cause some problems on wakeup...

EDIT: Pretty sure it was just me on this one, folks.

12. Abidubi macrumors 6502

Then set it to never, but there is still no reason for it to be on.

What if I just want to use my MP to jack up my car? Nothing stopping me even though it doesn't make sence.

13. grue macrumors 65816

Wanting it to be on is a reason for it to be on, though. Heck, annoying the hippies is a reason, too :D

14. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

What problems are you worried about? What "issues" are you talking about? I haven't heard anything about this yet is why I ask.

I sleep it occasionally with my MP RAID 0 and haven't experienced any "issues" yet.

15. Ploki macrumors 68000

isnt the default (apple+option+eject) good enough? i got quite used to cmd+alt+ctrl+eject or cmd+alt+eject .i hardly every shut it down or sleep it other way

16. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

when i haven't got an eject key it's not good enough!

17. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Maybe it was with a particular card.... Could have swore there was something about it, but I guess I'm wrong on this one. Basically, the "issue" was that on wakeup the computer would hang. But I think its just me on this one, I'm pretty sure there's no prob.

18. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Ah, OK. Yeah I dunno... And ya just never know... :) I read of a few people not being able to sleep their computers with some RAID card. Maybe that? Hang on wake sounds more serious. There's also the trip breaker on wake problem with some UPS units. Apple addressed this though. At lest my machine used to dim the lights on wake and after an Apple firmware update doesn't any longer. :) They either listened to us in the developer forum or they caught it themselves. YAY. :)

19. HotPink macrumors newbie

I think the OP wants to know if it is *bad* for the Mac Pro to never sleep. Not if you think he should sleep the machine, or whether or not you personally choose to sleep your machine.

Does anyone know if the computer should "sleep"? I don't think it ever *has* to myself--particularly the Mac Pro, which is designed to take a beating.

20. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Huh? Of course it doesn't matter. :confused::confused::confused:

21. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

I have been putting my Mac Pro to sleep (suspend I guess is what you would call it it turns off practically) when I am done using it since I got it in 2006.

I will have to say, It always wakes up immediately on command and everything is where it was left off. That includes to active profiles (my wife refuses to learn mac so I have a parallels running in full screen on her side)

Not one problem. Never had such luck with my windows desktops :)