Computer Speakers with Optical Audio for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by beatledud, Aug 4, 2008.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

I couldn't find a post specific to this question, and I searched 2 dozen so far and I'm sure it's listed somewhere....but no find so far.

I have a MBP, and I'm in the market for some speakers. I'd like 5.1, and I'd like them to be mountable, but I don't want to have to take a line audio cable and splice it to multiple RCA plugs. I know the Line Out works with Optical Audio with an adapter, so what speakers are out there that are good, work with that technology, and are affordable? I like the Logitech G51 surround, and they are around 150 on newegg, so affordable, but do they work with this set up?

What do others have? Price will be the ultimate trump card.

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

z-5500s for me.

I've had them for about 3 years, but they've only dropped 50 bucks from the price i've paid, and the negative street cred i've earned from the neighbors is worth more than $50 to me, any day.

But still, through optical you will only get surround if your applications support it or through DVD player. Everything else will remain in 2.1 (as far as I know) .

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

AFAICS there is no optical digital input in the G51's -- they ave a stereo input and a 6 channel direct (analog) input for PC 5.1 sound cards with 3 x minijack outputs. Thats it. Don't think it will work in surround for you.