Computer Speakers.

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by fireshot91, Mar 1, 2009.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I have a question on Computer speakers, and I honestly have no place to put it except for the Community Discussion.

I'm looking for a decent speaker system for my PC. I'm not going to pay over 60$. And it should be 2.1. The more the merrier, but if I can get a better quality 2.1 speaker system paying the same price as a crappy 5.1, I'd rather get a 2.1.

Any suggestions?

2. danny_w macrumors 601

I have the Logitech X-240 set at work and I love them, esp. for the price. I paid $40 for them on sale I think. I also had a Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 setup ($100) that was fantastic until a terminal strip broke off.

3. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wow, Good call, I was just looking at that set on Bestbuy.com

4. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Didn't buy it, its my birthday tomorrow and my dad (Since he just got a KICKIN' speaker-set up in his Library room with Sony speakers) said "Do you want new speakers for your computer?"

Then he says he can buy them as long as they're under 100$. I like bass-y music, and with the reviews of the Logitech X-240s, I don't think I'll be going for that. So, any other good speakers for sub-100, preferably with a sub in both speakers?

EDIT: Yes, I do realize this should belong in the Buying Advice forum

5. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

6. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wow, that really surprised me.
    Why? I've owned Logitech speakers/remotes/webcams/Mics. for plenty of years, and they never disappoint.
    Now, I'm thinking of the Logitech Z-4s

7. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

Look closely at those Z-4's in a store first.

Notice that each speaker has 3 "drivers" on it. Push in the top one, and you'll notice that the bottom one pushes out. That's because they're not really drivers, they're cardboard with a label on them, known as passive radiators, only the center one is a real driver. That 8" sub? It's not really 8". The 8" thing you see on the front is again, just a cardboard circle with a label on it, inside is a 4" driver, and a toilet paper tube reflex port.

There is a reason that Logitech speakers are so cheap. They're made out of cardboard, literally.

So if you enjoy listening to cardboard, go for it.

8. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Well this has been documented. For the price range Logitech often seems like a good option.

Might I suggest finding a pair of Altec Lansing FX6021s

9. ASFx macrumors regular

I have logitech Z-2300 speakers and they sound excellent. I had the Z-5500 5.1 setup before but i got rid of it because i got tired of having so many speakers on my desk. Two speakers is enough for me.

10. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Wow, those 2 2.1 systems are really expensive.

I thought that 100$ was to much to spend on computer speakers, but look at those!!

I went to BestBuy, and tried out a whole bunch of Logitech/Altec Lansing/Bose/Sony/Creative.

I liked the Logitech X-240's the best. They don't sound bad at all with the Sub at full volume.

11. Benguitar Guest

Benguitar

12. danny_w macrumors 601

For the price you can't beat the Logitech X-240's. I bought a set for the office for $40 on sale at Best Buy about a year ago and I like them a lot; they were also my choice of all of the speakers at BB. I don't know if I would pay the $55 that they normally sell for.

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm...I'm not sure if that is the best option even at that price range.

Also

KRK - that's what I own, but you have to spend some cash before they really become worth it. Buying a pair of Rokit 5s is probably not the best use of your money. Also the $100 price range?

Bose - which speakers? Surely not their computer speakers. There is the largest waste of money. The same goes for JBL as well.

14. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

Well. Yea it was probably computer speakers. They just had a whole bunch of speakers already set up. The Bose ones cost a lot. Same with the Sony ones.

15. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That was more directed at danny_w then you. If you tested the speakers then you surely know what sounds good for both your ears and your wallet. With that being said I would shy away from Bose. Possibly if you were willing to go a bit above the $100 range, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1.

16. danny_w macrumors 601

I had the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 and while they sounded good they had quality problems (the speaker connector block broke when taking out a wire once) and the stands are not very well designed at all - they tip over very easily. If I were to do it again I would look elsewhere.

17. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

That's odd. My Dad's has had his pair for a lengthy amount of time now with no problems and my brother has abused them over the years as well.

Would you really recommend the (lower-end) Altecs over the Klipschs

:confused: times a bijillion.

18. nanofrog macrumors G4

Listen before you buy if possible, as what sounds good to one person, won't to another. (Unfortunately, you may not be able to find everything you're interested in). :(

19. simplymuzik3 macrumors 6502a

I got my logitech x-540, 5.1 sound system about a year ago. Honestly, they are the best speakers ever! I had the x-240, and the bass was okay at full. Now, these x-540 have AMAZING bass!!! It's not even comparable to the x-240. I've had both, and trust me the x-540 is worth the extra $$$. I found them for $80 CAD, so you can find them for roughly twice the cost of x-240. It's well worth the extra money, and I HIGHLY recommend getting them. Go to the store and try them out first, you will notice the HUGE difference compared to the x-240. Hope this helps you! :D

20. McShizzel macrumors regular

Don't forget to make sure the subwoofer is magnetically shielded if you plan on placing it within two feet of your computer.

21. iota2 macrumors newbie

iota2

I am currently using two-piece Bose Speakers called Computer Music Monitor... They are small and very powerful... Don't be fooled by their sizes, they have an impressive bass and treble response... If you have any chance, go to a Bose reseller and listen to the sound coming out...

Bose has also 3 and 5-piece speaker systems (Companion 3 and 5). You wouldn't be disappointed if you bought Bose speakers... :)

22. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

For the money, go out and buy some actual monitors. That is not a universal statement of fact.

23. rhyx macrumors 6502

Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for the best.

24. bubbamike macrumors newbie

You can not buy good speakers for what you want to pay. Speakers need to produce an accurate reproduction of the original. None of the speakers named here even come close. But for gaming or listening to hip hop where all you are interested in is loudness and over-emphasized bass then any of those mentioned here will do. But if you want powered speakers that approach accurate reproduction try MAudio, Swan, AudioEngine, Tascam, etc. All of which will cost significantly more than your budget. All of which will sound significantly better than what you're looking at.

25. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

KRK was mentioned... I'll take my Exposé's and V88s over a DSM2 or EX66s and my V8s (and probably anythingelse KRK has made) will blow AudioEngine's "monitors" away. Now that I'm done being mean, what you said is true. But most people would prefer the artificial bass inflated sound, because most people do the whole video game/movie/music thing and, more importantly, only some of us place that high of a value on sound. Little harsh words for hip-hop though, pretty sure you can still appreciate some good sounding hip hop music, if not I'm not sure why MAudio makes a 10" subwoofer.