Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Canada
Apparently you can crete a small network between 2 PCs, or between 2 macs, or a mac & pc by hooking an ethernet cable directly from one to the other.

Personally I don't know how, as I tried and all I got was "A network cable is disconnected".

However, for those who do know about these setups, is there a way to connect a mac and a Playstation 3 video game console together?

The reason for this is -- Wireless is kind of slow for transferring large files through media link from the mac to the Ps3. I have an Airport Extreme, but due to local geography, cannot really use a cable for the 2. I run off Wireless internet right now, and I wish to continue running the internet off wireless, but also have a small computer-to-computer connection going for file exchange via medialink.

If anyone else has tried this, does it work? Am I wasting my time? I'll keep messing with it to see. So far the cable is connected but files still run through wireless .

plinden

macrumors 601
Apr 8, 2004
On your Mac go to Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing -> Select "Share your internet from: " Airport and select the Ethernet checkbox.

Your Preferences pane should like like the image I've attached.

Then select the "Internet Sharing" checkbox.

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    56.7 KB · Views: 99

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Canada
i think that will just send internet to the Ps3 from the mac, which is not what I was going for. I'll try it out though, see if it works out.

i just wanted to use the Ethernet for medialink, and the wireless for internet. The Ps3 system does not appear to be able to connect to both wireless and wired simultaneously though..

hughvane

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2008
Banks Peninsula, New Zealand
Shaun - I've successfully linked three Mac computers via ethernet-network except, and I'm embarrassed to admit it, that I cannot remember the password I used with one of the computers. I wrote it down and then ... well you know how it goes.

Anyway, my experience:
1. All Macs connected through an ethernet hub (more correctly, a switch)
2. Go SysPrefs > Sharing - or better - Finder > Go > Network

If your computers are all connected and switched on, they should 'see' each other and list their names in the Network window. If your PS3 is connected to one of your Macs, then the other should also see it IF the PS3 is connected via ethernet. If it's USB or Firewire connection, I don't believe it'll work.

i.shaun

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 1, 2008
Canada
It does not appear to work for me in this particular setup.

My network is basically like this:

Modem>Airport Extreme>Brother HL-1230 Printer

Wireless Clients:
iMac
Laptop running XP
Sony Playstation 3

Now media Link works, it just is slow sometimes for large files because it runs over the Wireless network. I do not and can not (at this time) switch to wired. At least not for the Ps3/iMac.

What I was trying to do was:

Connect an Ethernet Cable between the iMac & Ps3 and hope medialink would use that connection to do it's work, rather than the wireless network.

Unfortunately, it just does not seem to work, as the Ps3's network configuration utility is either Wireless or Wired. It can only seem to function with one at a time.

Fortunately this is not a big deal at this time. It was just a little task I came up with to see if I can pull it off to make things more efficient, but I guess this will have to be put off for now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.