Computer to TV help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MACaroni1, Jan 10, 2014.

1. MACaroni1 macrumors newbie

I have an old school Mac (Tiger 10.4.11) and am trying to hook it up to my Insignia TV to watch movies.

I've purchased and hooked up:
    -DVI to VGA adapter
    - VGA cable

It all hooks up, but I have no idea what to do next? I assumed my tv would auto-recognize the input, but nothing other than a tv show appears (cable). Do I need to do anything on my computer or TV to have my computer display who up on my tv?

I'm not tech savvy, at all. Would appreciate the help :) Thanks so much.

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You must use the input selection on the TV to select "PC" or VGA". Then open System Preferences --> Displays, then hit Detect Displays and configure to your situation.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You will also need a 3.5mm plug to 3.5mm plug audio cable to get the sound from your Mac to the audio input of your TV.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

You would also be better off using a DVI to HDMI adapter for full widescreen support. As many TV's only work at 1024x768 over VGA then stretch the image. Even if it would work at it's native resolution HDMI is digital so you can maintain a non degraded image. While VGA is analog so a digital image must be converted to analog then back to digital resulting in a loss of picture quality.