Computer upgrade help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mr Rogerss, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Mr Rogerss macrumors member

Hey guys,

I am using right now as my primary computer a Macbook Pro, I like Apple and there OS and from now on it will be my main OS (I use parallels when needed)
    Before I left for college I had a Dell Desktop 4600 as my computer. And I will be bringing it up to college to use basically when I am in my dorm cause it will prevent less wear and tear on my laptop and battery and have a bigger display hooked up etc at my desktop.

http://www.mrmartinweb.com/images/computer/dell4600.jpg
    this looks like my computer.

I want to first make the computer a project for myself by buying parts I can upgrade and try to install my self. Like more ram, a video card, maybe graphics card, etc. Because the desktop is a little lagging for the current time.

I have a list of questions..

RAM- How much can this machine hold for the maximum amount? I am hoping to maybe have 2-3 gigs.

Video Card- I need some advice on what card to buy, I am not looking to get the latest and greatest for this computer, I just need to get in the moderate range one that handles normal computer usage. Maybe one with dual monitor support.

Graphics card- I want a basic discrete moderate price level graphics card. I don't do any gaming. I like to watch tv on the interney and other videos etc.

Are the above three possible to do my self? are they basic to install?

And to get a new processor...is that something I should buy and then take to someone to install? I think my desktop runs a 1.8 Ghz, I want to maybe upgrade to 2.4? Core duo. would 100-120 dollars get me that?

As I said before, I am not wanting to upgrade to the best stuff, I just want my computer to upgrade to this current time.

Your help would be very appreciated. Thanks guys!

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Not worth it. The cost of upgrading is more than the machine itself. Just get some cheap case, and stick in the following (this also works for your current machine):

1. ATI Radeon graphics - just find some cheap off the shelf 50 dollar card.
    2. AMD Phenom - AMD's media cpu and you get a 3 or 4 core processor for around 150.
    3. Ram - 2GB is like spare change, around 20 dollars. 4GB is like 30-40 dollars.

3. Mr Rogerss thread starter macrumors member

4. Cory5412 macrumors member

You can put up to 2gb of ram in that machine, if it's anything like one of its predecessors, the 2350 (which I've got one of hanging around.) If it has more ram slots or supports a newer type of memory, you may be able to install all the way up to 4gb.

I don't know whether or not the machin ehas an AGP graphics card, but if it does not you will be limited to a PCI graphics card, which will be just fine if your mail goal is that it's slightly faster than the onboard Intel Extreme graphics.

A bigger challenge will be to get a newer processor. No dual cores will work on that board with that chipset, but if you look on ebay you may be able to eke out a few extra megahertz on a slightly more powerful chip.

Depending on how much you were looking at spending on upgrading that system, you may find it more cost effective to buy a new one. Dell is selling Inspiron 530 desktop systems for less than $300 right now, I believe, and they'll all be pretty easy to upgrade with faster dual and quad core processors, PCI Express video cards, several gigabytes of memory.

Another thing I may do is look at reinstalling Windows on the Dell 4600, in addition to upgrading the ram. I noticed that the biggest speed-up I could do for the dell 2350 was to reinstall windows and upgrade the ram. My brother uses it on a regular basis with the Intel extreme graphics, and with the 2.0 P4 or Celeron it had in it.

5. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Its the same thing...

6. Mr Rogerss thread starter macrumors member

My bad, I didn't know I typed it twice.

If I got the dell that's under 300, are you saying to upgrade that my self or take it as is.

If I add a graphics card and upgraded to a dual core processor its 399. I cant have the graphics it comes with.