Computer viruses to hit a million!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by PowerFullMac, Apr 15, 2008.

1. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wow, almost 2/3 of the threats were created last year. Windows 7 better be an armored tank... but it must be able to run first.

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and how many of those are true viruses. That 1 mil count includes Trojans. If you want to make a big deal out of that then OSX has been hit by virus under the term you are bashing windows on.

Read the article. They are using the term virus wrong in the head line. They are using the term virus to include all malicious code.

This is how apple fan boys have said OSX has never gotten a virus because it is just malicious code.

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well the interest in Macs is at such a high right now that I feel it's safe to assume that people really HAVE targeted Macs when trying to create viruses. However, we haven't really had one yet, which is still quite good. Sure, Macs still aren't a huge part of the computer market, but their popularity (and sales) is growing faster than anyone else, and I'm sure there are enough virus creators out there who have aimed their sights on Macs, hoping to shut Mac users up about how wonderful their computer is.

4. Antares macrumors 68000

Antares

I wonder how long until someone develops a computer virus that truly works like a biological virus.....one that not only self propagates and self duplicates on it's own but also evolves on it's own (i.e. a computer virus that can change it's own code, without human modification, to adapt to the security vulnerabilities and security protections of the infected computer). That would be something notable and cool...and scary. I wonder if a virus like this could/will happen someday.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

It has already as far as I'm aware - there are viruses which modify portions of their code based on a 'random' number generated by the computer (although this isn't really random - it's all time based, but nonetheless next to impossible to predict).

6. Queso macrumors G4

Lies. Symantec like to count every single variant of each virus as a new one. That way they can scare all their clients into buying more Symantec software and subscriptions.

In reality there are probably only a fraction of this number. Still high, but nowhere near the marketing vomit coming from what should be the world's least favourite security company. How about they start decreasing the time between new threats appearing and their software detecting it rather than scaremongering?

7. Thunderpuppy macrumors newbie

How many of them

do you think are made by Symatec? I have always wondered where they come from and it sure as hell would keep them in business would it not? Just a thought?

8. mcarnes macrumors 68000

mcarnes

Yep, and Bush was behind 9/11.

9. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

A lot of people have said that, and notice how they always know how to get rid of Symbian viruses and always seem to know about them all... I think they probably do make some, TBH.

Which he was... So that means its definatly true! :D

10. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

very true. They are counting all malware as viruses (and Mac yes have been hit by several different types of malware) Also every variant. A lot of the the viruses are using the same base code so even though it may be doing something minorly different it still will get nailed by symantec.

As much as people like to bash Symantec they do make some pretty nice AV software. Well their enteripise division stuff. Nortan is just crap.

11. PowerFullMac thread starter macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Norton, I know from experience, is a virus itself. First of all, on the old PC that used to be in our house, which had Norton on it, I found a bunch of viruses when I installed a real anti-virus/firewall, and even after I done that I still couldnt get Norton off, HiJack This didnt even get rid of it, it kept trying ot start when half the files were missing and caused a bunch of problems!