Computer vs iPad - Progressive vs Interlaced

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by mobiletaylor, Apr 7, 2013.

1. mobiletaylor macrumors member

I ripped a TV season last week with Handbrake. The episode plays fine on my computer. I transferred a show to my iPad to watch and it played back with horrible interlaced problems. Is this normal? How can I tell on my computer what it will look like on my iPad?

Thanks

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

I don't know this from experience, but from what I've read of others' feedback, Handbrake has presets you can pick that optimize video for ipad playback.

However, neither the Mac nor the iPad have interlaced displays. I'm scratching my head over how you could have made it look like interlaced video.

3. Menneisyys2 macrumors 603

iOS hrdware cant play back interlaced content in hardware. Therefore, what you saw was the usual field order problem many third-party players are having using software decoding. For example, in my iOS multimedia reviews posted here at MacRumors, I've listed several of these players lately.

The solution is

1, deinterlacing on the desktop. This will also have the advantage of generating a hardware playback-compliant file, which means orders of magnitude less CPU (and, therefore, sizable battery) usage.

2, using a player with proper deintelacing; for example, GoodPlayer.

I' definitely go with the first.

----------

The desktop hardware has either native support for interlaced playback or, at least, proper players not messing up the interlaced field order while decoding the video themselves (like VLC). Not so on iOS (or, on the ATV, for that matter).