Computer Warm while sleeping?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Michael4824, May 8, 2013.

1. Michael4824 macrumors member

Hi everyone-

My Mid 09 Macbook Pro 13" has started to become warm while sleeping. While it's not burning up, it's warmer then it should be after sleeping, even after being off all night.

I've reset the PRAM and the SMC. The Apple logo's light goes off (aka display), however it comes on immediately when I open the computer, which leads me to believe the computer isn't actually sleeping.

Any ideas?

2. ColdCase macrumors 68030

Do you have power nap enabled in the energy saver system preferences? This wakes the mac up periodically even with the lid closed.

3. Michael4824 thread starter macrumors member

No, it's currently off.

Mods, sorry for having this in the incorrect place. Seemed like an OS issue, not a hardware issue.

4. johnnnw macrumors 65816

johnnnw

This is fits fine in this section. It's a Macbook Pro problem after all.

Have you monitored that temperature with iStat Pro and check what the temperature right after you open it? If so what is that temp?

5. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Power Nap only work with retina MBP with flash drive so OP has 2009 model… :apple:

6. ROGERWILCO357 macrumors 6502

ROGERWILCO357

hmm

my 09 does this to as of lately not sure why either i now turn it off completely just to make sure it doesn’t burn out the fans and or the cpu...

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Dumb question, do you see the power light glowing when sleeping? It should pulsate when in sleep mode. It will remain steady while on.

I agree that it doesn't seem to be asleep by the symptoms provided

8. Michael4824 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the reply everyone. I never thought to look at the sleep indicator light, I'll do that and see what it's doing next time. Also I installed iStat Pro so I can check the temps next time, but it's definitely "I'm doing something" warm.

The other day I left Mail.app open, and I had 3 new emails immediately when I opened the lid that were not there when I put the computer to sleep, so something is for sure running (normally I close all my applications before I put my computer to sleep).

9. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

Yeah sometimes the sleep indicator doesnt flash meaning its not fully asleep.

10. Michael4824 thread starter macrumors member

Just happened. The light was solid, not doing the gradual on off fade.

Here is a screen shot of iStat Pro

Attached Files: