Computer will not start up in SL -- power management chip problems?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by nateeanes, Jan 3, 2010.

1. nateeanes macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro 15", which is about 6 months old, has had power management problems the last several days. Generally, like most Mac users, I don't shut it down every day-- I leave it sleeping most of the time. But lately, the computer won't wake up, and I have to play with the power button a little before finally managing to bring the computer out of 'safe sleep'-- the same as what happens when the battery has died.

Today, I tried this and could not get the computer to wake up or turn on at all.

1) I'm thinking this could be due to a problem with the power management chip. What do others think?
    2) I had been keeping the laptop in a cold room this winter-- probably down to 50 degrees. Could this be affecting the computer (or especially battery)? I do keep it plugged in as well.

Thanks!
    Nate

2. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

Book an appointment with the genius bar or phone AppleCare, you need to get it fixed, it's not going to get any better.

3. nateeanes thread starter macrumors newbie

4. zrose macrumors newbie

power problems

Hi
    my g5 mac 10.3 just stop working heard a pop and lights out, is there a power chip and what did it cost to fix i have a good repair place in town but i would like to know a little about what i think it is before handling it over to the unknown, have any input
    thanks
    zrose