Computer wireless recording mics?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Osprey, Feb 15, 2008.

1. Osprey macrumors 6502

I am trying to set up an easy, hands free recording center for a teacher. I have googled and I am confused. Does anyone know if there is a wireless microphone (bluetooth would be nice) that I can record voice directly onto the computer and later edit with software. Any help would be appreciated and thanks.

2. Tosser macrumors 68030

Bluetooth would suck for such a thing (it has almost no "reach", and the farther a person gets from the base, the bandwidth diminishes). Not to mention interference from all sorts of crap (other peoples BT, cell phones etc. etc.).

There's a "sweet" primer here you ought to read:

http://www.sweetwater.com/shop/live-sound/microphones/wireless_buying-guide.php

Now, all you have to do is get a headset and a brick to put on his belt, match the channels and off you go. Yes, it's more expensive than the average BT-headset, but a BT-headset are sure to be a disappointment.

After that, you have to get the audio into the computer: How that works depend of the computer you're going to use. You can use any sort of USB or FW-interface, or you could use the line in. Or you could just use a dedicated digital recorder, copy the file to the computer, and that's it.

That last bit of getting it into the computer/getting it recorded, is a subject in itself. It depends on the solution you choose, the hardware you have, not to mention the thickness of the wallet and how well you want it to sound in the end.

3. Osprey thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. I guess I was just looking for a fairly simple and inexpensive way to record his voice when teaching over the video captured with Camtasia. The ultimate goal is to record lessons to put on iPod so students that are absent can actually watch and hear the lesson. It just isn't practical for him to sit in front of the computer because that isn't the way he teaches. I may end up just buying a digital recorder and try adding the audio that way.

4. Tosser macrumors 68030

Just to be clear: So you(he) isn't actually interested in using a wireless mic for, say, an auditorium use (amplification of his voice and recording his voice from that output)?

If that's the case – that it 1will not be ued for that – I think a wireless solution isn't that great, to say the least. And no matter what, a BT-solution sucks. No, I'd get a cheap clip-on microphone with some fur, and a small recorder to put in his pocket: No interference, and much better audio.

The recorder itself can be almost anything, as long as it's digital. The clip-on is important, though. You want the least amount of ambience – especially if people are listening to his voice for an hour or more at a time.

5. Osprey thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, this is the conclusion I have finally reached as well. I guess I just figured with the advances in technology that someone wold have come up with an inexpensive wireless mic for recording acceptable voice audio onto a computer to add to lessons and presentations. Maybe there just isn't a need. I think the digital recorder will work as long as I can add it to the video screen capture that we get with camtasia. Thanks again for your advice and help.

6. Tosser macrumors 68030

No problem :)

7. sweet.hou macrumors newbie

wireless headset record system

I have a similar issue and have searched the Internet but am so confused as to what product I should buy....
    I am trying to set up an easy hand-free record system (wireless I guess) so that i can record lectures while walking around. I'll be using Screen Flow. Also, is it possible to record the interactions and communications with students during class? I need to have a solution soon.... thanks to anyone who could help!!

8. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

just an opinion from a current student at university.

an audio 'podcast' rather than a video would be more suitable. chances are if people are absent it's because they're lazy, so taking the time out to watch a video for an hour or so probably won't suit them. listening to a podcast they could put on an ipod and then listen to on the go whenever they feel like it might be more suitable.