Computer won't recognize iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wrathofhawk, Dec 30, 2009.

1. wrathofhawk macrumors newbie

wrathofhawk

Just a few hours ago I tried to charge my phone and my computer wouldn't recognize or sync my phone. I have two cords, one has an opening near the usb part and the dock connector which reveals the coil, but it's been like that for a while and has connected to the computer fine. The other cord is in perfect shape, but either one won't work. This is an issue but I can still charge my phone with a wall outlet, but I WOULD like to put stuff on my phone. Can anyone help?

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

Make sure that there is no dust or anything in the dock connector.

3. fullmanfullninj macrumors regular

Mac or PC?

If your computer does not recognize the iPhone AT ALL then something's probably up with the cable or phone...or something. You mention syncing and recognizing...if your iPhone reacts and if your computer reacts, then at least there's no hardware problems. If neither computer nor iPhone react, then it's hardware.

I would suggest, if you have this luxury, trying both cables with a separate computer. If it at least reacts then you're in the clear.

If not, then it's most likely something with your phone. Cable is possible, but you said you have that mint condition cable, so I'm going to assume that works.

Another super luxury would be attempting to connect some other iPhone/iPod product. If it works, it's definitely a unit problem.
    Another mega luxury is if you have like...an iHome or anything that would react to an iPhone.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Although this could be a hardware issue, it's not definitely one. It could be the USB port, so try another one. Also, you may need to reboot your computer or iPhone. Also, sometimes reinstalling iTunes fixes this. Finally, a restore in DFU mode may fix it.

5. wrathofhawk thread starter macrumors newbie

wrathofhawk

I meant to say it wouldn't recognize it in the first place. And I have a PC, only 1 computer in the house. I'm thinking it's my computer, because before my iPhone 3GS I had an iPod Touch, the computer would take probably a minute before it recognizes the iPod. Sometimes I would wiggle the cord, or keep hitting the sleep button before it would recognize it. When I got my iPhone it would do the same thing. And I do not have an iHome or anything else that uses the dock connector.