Computer won't recognized unlocked/jailbroken iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by blackandred, Jan 15, 2009.

1. blackandred macrumors newbie

okay here's the deal...

i have an unlocked & jailbroken 2G 1.1.4 iphone that i've used without incident for well over a year.

A week ago, the phone fell in the toilet. Yes. Ugh. I immediately grabbed it out, dried it off, used a hairdryer for at least 30 mins and then put it in a bowl of rice. Initially, I noticed a few problems: no audio played unless I put in the headphones (it thought headphones were in even when they weren't) and it didn't recognize when I put in a charger/usb port plug.

After leaving it in the rice for about 4 hours, it started working fine. None of the problems continued.

4 days later - after regularly charging it and using it on my computer - my computer ceased to recognize the phone. The phone didn't recognize that anything was plugged in and nothing came up on the computer or iphone.

Stupidly - on the advice of a 'smarter' friend - I took it to the apple store to get it looked at. They did, thought it was dirty, cleaned it and then told me they couldn't work on it cuz it was jailbroken. They told me that it charged okay now but itunes won't recognize it.

Yes, indeed last night, it charged on my charger dock, but still my computer won't recognize it.

2 things then:

1) It could be damage from the water

2) I noticed that some of the software needed to unlock the phone was no longer there - I assume the fine folks at the apple store deleted it - hence the "it will no longer work on itunes".

I tried putting in a friend's AT&T iphone sim card, but it still won't recognize the iphone.

Any suggestions? Either to get it back to where the usb port for computer will work and/or so I can reinstall the software for unlocking it (I'm guessing this could be why it doesn't work now on the computer)?

THANKS

2. DPA macrumors 65816

DPA

Have you not seen all of the threads here and everywhere else telling people to restore their iPhone and put back the AT&T SIM card before taking it too the Apple Store?!?!?!

Well have you restored it yourself after the Apple Store visit? I suggest that you try that. If that proves to be unsuccessful then put the phone in DFU mode like you had to do when you unlocked and jailbroke it. If you have forgotten how to do this then follow the instructions here.

David

3. Davidkoh macrumors 65816

Hope you know that you should leave it to try for at least 4-5 days before you even turn it on if you dropped it in water. You should have even took it apart to rince some parts with distilled water, then let it dry for a week.

Turning it on before it's totally dry probobly broke it.