Computer won't turn off

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ArmyKnight12, Apr 28, 2008.

1. ArmyKnight12 macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Hey Everyone. I've got a major problem. I am unable to quit Mail. :)apple: then it won't let me quit mail. :apple: and R doesn't work either.). Also, when I click Mail on the dock (has an arow under it), nothing happens and I don't see the mail box appear. Weird stuff.

I am also unable to shut down or log of the computer. Any ideas? This all just happened last night. Apple Mail is enabled and I haven't been receiving Mail so I don't know what happened and hope someone can help. Thanks

2. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Try to force quit mail. Click and hold mail.app's icon in the dock, it'll popup a menu, then select force quit.

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I had a similar issue today - however, I never use Mail.

Another app was sending a message to Mail telling it to send an email and I had to kill that app as Mail kept popping back up and even a Force Quit would not work at all, it just kept bouncing back at me. And I couldn't log out either.

I just closed the other app, then closed Mail and all was fine. Maybe the same problem in your case?

4. ArmyKnight12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

Thanks for your help guys. For some strange reason, it was using my gmail account and not my .edu account to send and receive messages. I quickly deleted the gmail one and enabled my college .edu.

Then I did something with the Connection Doctor (was having internet connection problems at my college) and Mail was able to quit. I can now restart/shut down computer and all appears to be well.

10 Months in and this is the first time I've had an actual problem with my MBP. Not bad in my opinion and hope this problem was a fluke.

On a side note, how can I check my Internet connection speed. The college network is very slow and I'd like to be able to track it certain days. You guys know how to do this?

Very much appreciated and thanks for the fast responses.

5. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

No probs, glad you got it sorted :)

This site
    will tell you what internet speed you are getting.

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

To check the current up and down speed of your connection just open up Activity Monitor and click the network tab.

7. ArmyKnight12 thread starter macrumors 6502

ArmyKnight12

8. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

That's even easier!! So I learned something new today :)