Computer won't turn on.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by airkarol, Apr 12, 2007.

1. airkarol macrumors 6502

Hey,

I'm having a problem with a PC. It's an Athlon 2400+, 512MB, 80GB HD running Windows XP Pro. I know it's not a Mac, but I use it as a server. I left it on last night, and this morning it was off. I checked the plugs, and then realized that when the computer is plugged in there is a hum, or a buzzing sound that seems to be coming from the power supply. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks.

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Sounds like the power supply on your PC has died, you should be able to get a new one pretty cheap at NewEgg for around $30 to $50 depending on your needs. You'll need a new power supply to have the computer working again. That is unless there is something more wrong with it.

If you have another PC power supply you can swap it and see if that fixes the problem. Then you will definitely know what the problem is, but to me I'm pretty sure it's the power supply. Good luck :)

3. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

I have an older PC that isn't in use. Would a power supply from the times of windows 95 be ok?

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

I doubt a power supply from that era would work since the power needed by todays PC is greater (even if the socket type is the same).

5. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Probably wouldn't work. Windows 95 era was still mostly AT-style power supplies, whereas the newer gear requires ATX power supplies (with greater power requirements as well).

6. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess I'm putting out $40 on a power supply :eek:

I forgot to mention that a few days ago when I powered on, there was an error in the startup check. It said there was a problem with the floppy drive. Can that have anything to do with this?

7. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

If you want. Disconnect the floppy drive, CD drives, anything that's not needed to boot up. I doubt it would make a difference, but you never know. Maybe the floppy drive gave you an error because it was not getting power, which might of been an early symptom of the Power Supply failing.

8. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I'll open it open tomorrow, I don't have time tonight. I'll try that, and if it doesn't work then I'll order a power supply.

Thanks for you help!

9. airkarol thread starter macrumors 6502

I opened up the case, and took out the power supply to take a look at it. A capacitor inside it is unplugged, it came out through the fan holes. Is it safe to open up the power supply? Thanks.

10. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

It's just cheaper to buy a new power supply. As for the parts that came out of it. You really can't fix it unless you have experience it that area