Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any good recommendations for a computer desk/workstation. I'm willing to spend some $$ on something, and am just wondering if there are any pieces out there that you guys really like. I use a Mac Pro, which I like to keep on the desk. Besides that, I don't have that much hardware -- MFC printer that's pretty big, but that will probably be replaced by something that has a smaller footprint. I'll be putting it in my basement, so size isn't really a huge concern.

As always, I appreciate the help.

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
What exactly are you going to be using the computer for?

If it's just regular home usage (internet, emails, iTunes & iPhoto stuff) then I'd go an iMac.

The Mac Pro is more suited to professional use.

I use mine for photography. I have a Jan 2008 Eight-Core Mac Pro 10GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT that runs Photoshop CS3 beautifully, especially batch work. :)

adr1974

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
sorry -- i might not have been clear. I have a Mac Pro, but am looking for a nice desk etc on which to put it. Wasn't sure what people here had as far as that stuff goes, or if there are any well-known types of desks etc that people really like.

inigel

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2008
No where
Oh, sorry. I recommend one where the disk trays in the Mac Pro are within arms length. I have no issues with bending down for the power button, and I use a USB hub, but I hate having to bend and stretch to put discs in.

I had a corner-desk custom made to sit my Mac Pro, with room for expansion (ie- 2x 30" Displays) by a local kitchen builder. I then sent the desk to a friend of mine who has a car-spray booth and painted it black, I then got a piece of thick glass cut as the top and the whole unit looks pretty nice. It blends well with my room.

Shownarou

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
Newton, IA
Oh, sorry. I recommend one where the disk trays in the Mac Pro are within arms length. I have no issues with bending down for the power button, and I use a USB hub, but I hate having to bend and stretch to put discs in.

I had a corner-desk custom made to sit my Mac Pro, with room for expansion (ie- 2x 30" Displays) by a local kitchen builder. I then sent the desk to a friend of mine who has a car-spray booth and painted it black, I then got a piece of thick glass cut as the top and the whole unit looks pretty nice. It blends well with my room.

I'd like to see pictures if they're available.. :p

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I don't know where you live, but you could look at IKEA. Particularly the Workspace section. :)

Some members on the forum have the Galant desk series, and they have a computer holder that goes with it for ~$18.00USD. Looks rather nice.

Hope this helps, and good luck. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.