Computers on LAN bizarre interactions

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by beyond-confused, Oct 12, 2008.

1. beyond-confused macrumors newbie

I will try to be brief. I have a home LAN set up through an HP desktop. Recently, a Mac computer was added. Odd connnections or w/e are going on. Whenever anything is done on the Mac, the cursor moves on the HP desktop, and programs or other items seem randomly opened/closed. ALSO, whatever I type on the HP desktop is now showing up on the Mac. My password showed up today, and it types in the search window or in an open word file. Right before any typing of mine showed up on the Mac, the words "fling it" came up. After that, everything I type shows there. FYI The Mac was set up by another person that might have wanted to gain access. I checked all the settings and have turned off all remote access, sharing, bluetooth, and have firewalls on. It's still happening. I have made the LAN secure (it wasn't). Rig Any thoughts would be so appreciated. Thanks

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

looks like there is someone who is controlling your network... maybe turn the LAN off and make it more secure?

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

OMG! i read that whole post thinking that he meant a MAC address was added to the DHCP list on his router which led me to believe his HP has been hacked.

beyond-confused PLEASE NOTE

Mac = computer made by Apple Inc.
    MAC = Media Access Control address

4. beyond-confused thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for responding. I am using WPA. Not sure how to make it more secure? It gets even more strange! I disconnected all net access and it still happens. Like a remote access or odd terminal echo.
    Does this mean my computers aren't even being controlled on MY Lan anymore?? Maybe that's what you meant. If so, how can I make it secure?

5. beyond-confused thread starter macrumors newbie

rich!! omfg too at me... LOL
    Thank you for that clarificaton.
    A Mac computer, not MAC addy. SO sorry. I edited my message, hopefully that shows?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

thanks. as i now know you meant a Mac computer as added i have no idea.

7. cyberjunky macrumors regular

Is that turned off sharing on just the mac or the pc, or both even?

Also your using the HP computer as a routing machine directly connected to the internet, in other words no actual router in your home?

If you do have a router, try turning off any services there. Also in windows browse the services application, its in the control panel, i forget what its called but it enables you to control and enable/disable all system and/or application services aswell as setup some conditions of operation. Usually each of these services has a description to help clarify what they do.

Might possibly be a trojan on the PC (i suggest pc as its more likely to be the PC side) though thats not to necessarily eliminate one on the mac side either, so take a look at the process list under task manager. End task all weird non system tasks and if the problem still persist then that is weird.

8. belvdr macrumors 601

Do you have voice recognition setup on the HP? I had a person have this happen to them and I finally found that.

9. beyond-confused thread starter macrumors newbie

file sharing turned off on BOTH. Under systems in internet connections I see the word "teredo". I looked it up, but I am not sure what it is? And no voice recognition on the HP.

Is it possible that someone has taken control of my lan?

10. beyond-confused thread starter macrumors newbie

11. beyond-confused thread starter macrumors newbie

ok get this. I took everything OFF the cable. No router, no net access period. When typing from the desktop HP. the text is STILL showing on the screen on the Mac computer across the house. WTF???

12. belvdr macrumors 601

Would you happen to be using wireless keyboards? Sounds like the keyboards are synced to both machines.

13. beyond-confused thread starter macrumors newbie

they are both wireless!!! How do I fix this!!! PLEASE, thanks in advance!!

14. beyond-confused thread starter macrumors newbie

BELVDR! I got an old wired keyboard out. Problem solved!!!!!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!! I still would like to know how to un-sync (if thats a word) so I can use wireless. OMG. Thanks!!