Computerworld's Predictions

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mykbibby, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Mykbibby macrumors 6502a

Mykbibby

Here are Seth's predictions, the guy from 9to5 Mac (i.e. the fatty nano leaks), about the new MacBooks and MacBook Pros. Seth has an amazing track record, so look at the stuff he says sources told him practically as fact.

MacBooks

MacBook Pros

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

This was already posted earlier today, but still intresting.

EDIT:
    Although i guess it was kinda hidden

3. MVApple macrumors 6502a

I missed the earlier posting so thanks for the links :D

I'm surprised there haven't been any leaks if lower level Apple employees have seen it!

4. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

Predicts 16:9 screen

That is something I really hate about the new wave of notebooks. The screen gets wider and wider. 16:10 is bad enough, 16:9 :mad:

When will we be back with a single line display like on the early electrical typewriters?

5. christiemp macrumors regular

christiemp

The aluminum AND black on the top cover grosses me out. It should just be one or the other, not both.

6. appelmac macrumors newbie

:eek:

this is so unbelievably depressing, what hes says about the macbooks.........for ages weve been hearing aluminum etc etc, and now hes saying its just the macbooks pros. this black plastic and aluminum split up idea sounds horrific, i really hope this isn't true, he's the ONLY one to have said this

7. fewture macrumors regular

8. iCries macrumors regular

9. aleksandra. macrumors 6502a

I find it hard to believe there'll black plastic + aluminium casing, as well as 16:9 screens. I think it'd be more probable if it was a switch to LED and to a new size together, however, 13.3" LED backlit screen in Air makes me doubt it. Any change of that kind would've to be planned for a long time, and if they planned to do so, would they really have designed a completely new product with "old" size? Not to mention all that advertising of full-size screen and eco-friendly aluminium casing? Or maybe I just hope it's not true (really, 16:10 is about as flat as I can accept).

I agree this guy had good sources judging by the amount of the correct information about the nano, however, his sources might have been misinformed now - if only to check where the leak is. He didn't say precisely whether he talked to people who had seen the new computers, or whether he talked to those who didn't, but believed other employees did. And if that is the case, it would also make "the brick" rumor less reliable. Of course, it's also perfectly possible all of this is true - but then, I really want it to be false, so I refuse to believe it for now ;).

10. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I'm probably one of the few that not only doesn't care for 16:9 on a laptop, I really don't care for widescreen laptops in general. My T61p is the last of the Thinkpads that came 4:3!

But obviously I'm in the minority. :D

Watching a movie widescreen is cool, but getting work done, I prefer a more square workspace.

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

since when are computers used for work:confused:

anyway, i'm not a fan of 16:9 either. i liked 16:10.

well, if they release a 14.1 inch 16:9 then that would be as high as a 13.3 16:10 and about as wide as a 15 inch 16:10. that put's it into a wierd spot. not small enough for portability and not large enough for work.

i hope they release either as MBP or as MB a 13.3 inch notebook that is fully featured (incl. optical, FW400 or 800, ethernet, 2xUSB, good speakers, bright screen, matte please), has at least 2.4GHz, easy to change HD and is around 4 lb. Good wifi reception please as well. i don't care if it's plastic, aluminium, carbon or titanium as long as it's 4 lb and has 6hrs battery life. i also don't care about a glass trackpad or backlit keyboard or fancy GPU.

i'm open for two versions of this:
    a MB that is cheap ($1200) or a MBP that is expensive ($1800) but is lighter and faster and has an excellent screen and sound.

12. jmillar macrumors newbie

I certainly hope they go the brushed metal look. That black 'clamshell' is a cosmic horror worthy of Lovecraft.

I certainly hope they follow the Montevina route also. Tried and tested. Nvidia is going through a difficult period in the chipset market. There have been red herrings in the past, such as the AMD rumors not long before Intel adoption was announced, just when Intel started throughly trouncing AMD on performance.

Are they trying to scare us into buying the last remaining macbooks before horror strikes? :D

13. Detektiv-Pinky macrumors 6502a

Detektiv-Pinky

No, it is not you. The trouble is that almost all the vendors have silently agreed that this is the way to go forward with displays - you have no choice, but to simply accept what is offered on the market and 4:3 is no longer an option. I would love to buy a netbook with 4:3 - nothing to be found...

In the last computer prospects that I found in my local newspaper all the new laptops had 16:9 screens. Maybe it is a strange way of cost cutting. Selling you 'large' diagonal screen sizes, while actually delivering less screen area :(

14. polaris20 macrumors 68020

Yeah, I'm onboard with that. I pretty much would like an updated 12" PowerBook. Those were fantastic little machines.

15. iMacmatician macrumors 601

I KNEW IT! I always thought the MacBook would have large swaths of black just like the iMac, but the lack of rumors on this made me have doubts. I had these color schemes in mind in July, all with black display bezels:
    • Black bottom, silver inside, silver top
    • Black bottom, silver inside, black top
    I also noticed that those color schemes would make the MacBook "white" when open and "black" when closed.

And according to the rumor, the black parts are plastic, contrary to the supposedly leaked case pictures. Oh well. I was hoping aluminum, but then again the black back of the iMac is plastic too.

I notice that this point is not in the lists for either the MacBook or the MacBook Air. :(

With 16:9 displays, I hope to see 1366*768 (NOT 1280*720) for the MacBooks (unless there's a really cheap model) and the MacBook Air, 1600*900 for the 16" MacBook Pro, and 1920*1080 for the 18.4" MacBook Pro (too bad the resolution goes down from the 1920*1200 BTO).

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I like the idea of a 14", 16", and 18" MBP line-up.

I'm not excited about the 16:9 resolution, and I don't understand the purpose of it. You lose vertical pixels. That's it. It's a big deal if you type documents, and who doesn't type documents on their laptop? I don't care about watching movies. I care about doing things on my computer. A 16:9 aspect ration doesn't make it easier for me to work. I have always liked widescreen, but I do enjoy the 16:10 aspect ratio, and don't want to see a change.

Me too. I think the company that offers this will get a lot of business. When you only have 600 vertical pixels in most systems, it's hard to type any email or document, or view webpages without scrolling down.

17. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

Black plastic for the Macbook - I hope he's right. I've been dreading the aluminum look. He's certainly correct that the G3 Pismo was one of the best (and visually pleasing) laptops Apple ever produced. Nine years old now and still a capable machine, running 10.3.

18. Loge macrumors 68020

Loge

I'll trade the 10% loss of pixels for 8GB RAM support, but otherwise I prefer the current 1920*1200 model.

19. CaptainCaveMann macrumors 68000

CaptainCaveMann

Actually, the best laptop Apple ever made was the TiBook. And what about Black aluminum? You've seen all these cracking issues with the plastic, why would you want to stay with the plastic?

20. polaris20 macrumors 68020

I've got a cracked TiBook right here :D

Well okay, it wasn't the TiBook's fault. Previous owner had dropped it several times. lol

21. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

There has been numerous issues with the aluminum. Many like the plastic. Maybe you don't. Everyone is entitled to like or dislike what they like.

22. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm sure hoping they redesign in aluminum! Otherwise I'm buying a MBP

23. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Good for you!!!!!!

24. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

I have owned six Mac laptops in my life, all plastic and nary a crack.

25. *Sandy* macrumors 6502

Same with me no crack or issues at all, But hope they are not black:( yuck