Comstar External Hard Drive 500GB $100 for Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ikermalli, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ikermalli macrumors 6502a

Hey,

Is that a good deal? It is 500 GBs, and it is ony $99.99, the 320 GB is 103.99 however. I read that it can work with macs, I will return my Maxtor Black Armor and get that. Is that a good deal?

2. SecondDealer macrumors regular

3. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can pick up a 1TB external drive for $100

4. ikermalli thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

I don't know if you are looking for a portable or desktop drive, however I did buy a Maxtor One Touch 4 750GB for $90 at Best Buy during a sale. I am not sure if they still have the sale going, but it is something you might want to check out.

6. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

ComStar comes across as pretty cheap. I've never had one fail on me, but it wouldn't surprise me. I believe mine came with a Samsung drive inside, but I swapped it for a WD after the enclosure fell off a table while the drive was running and killed it altogether.

A while back Future Shop had a 500 GB LaCie drive on sale for $100, which is a much better deal on a much better brand. These days they're usually on for $120 I think, $140 or something for 1 TB. Keep your eyes open, they have pretty good sales from time to time. The ComStars are always on sale, which may tell you something.

To the other posters: remember we're talking Canadian dollars here.

Ah, clicked that second link you provided. That's a pretty decent price, but wait until it's on sale and you'll save another $10-$20.