Con you connect iMac to TiVo box

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Mpf080, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Mpf080, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

Mpf080 macrumors newbie

Hi all

I am thinking of buying an iMac and needed to know if I would to able to run my virgin TiVo box thought it as the only place I have to put the iMac would be in my bedroom where my tv is. So it would mean I would need to get rid of my tv. So is there I way to link them together.

2. simsaladimbamba

You can't use an iMac as external TV for a TV, since you need a Thunderbolt equipped Mac to use any 2011+ iMac as external TV.
    You could look into a breakout box, that captures the HDMI signal (if a TiVo has HDMI-out).
    You could however transfer shows from your TiVo via Roxio to your Mac.

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the [​IMG] button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the [​IMG] button below your message.

3. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Note that many backwards-minded channels don't permit their recordings to be transferred via Toast/TiVo-to-go. HBO and BBCA come to mind.

4. Mpf080 thread starter macrumors newbie

Could I not use a slingbox or something like that

5. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The newest iMacs support input only from Thunderbolt sources. If you get a 2010 model then you can get an hdmi adapter for the minidisplayport and use sling or similar.

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

You could potentially use iTiVo to watch recorded shows, but not live TV or control the TiVo.

B