Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iLive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark
Thoughts? :)

DD7E4D7F-0D7F-4613-9AB2-48FCB65AD926.png

DDA82A62-6894-4C7A-9310-2881EADBB5AB.png

F36319EA-B4CD-4285-956B-7E5A471504A5.png

Reactions: chris4565

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Isn’t the point of car key that it works even if the phone battery is “dead,” like the transit mode? There is no interface, in that case.

I mean, in actual use, who wants to wake up their phone to get in a car?

iLive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark
But, if a car can be unlocked with a phone that's not needed to be on, how does it then confirm user? ? That seems even more insecure.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
But, if a car can be unlocked with a phone that's not needed to be on, how does it then confirm user? ? That seems even more insecure.

How is that any more secure than a car key? Do you have to biometrically prove your identity before clicking your key fob? Or inserting your physical key into the slot?

The fact that I possess the phone/watch is sufficient proof that I should be allowed to open the doors. Just like the fact that I posses my car’s key fob is sufficient proof of the same.

Reactions: TimFL1

iLive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark
The fact that I possess the phone/watch is sufficient proof that I should be allowed to open the doors.

Not necessarily. it might be the case for car keys today, but it still not the right move to make for a smart phone.

Last edited:

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Yet you can't pay with your device using Apple Pay unless it's on.
Correct. But when you pay for stuff with a credit card you often have to provide ID, etc.

With iPhone, when you pay for transit (subways, etc.) you do NOT have to turn it on or authenticate (it’s called transit mode), because when you use a physical transit pass you don’t need to authenticate.

Also, like with transit, you don’t want to be locked out of your car just because your phone battery is dead. So, like transit, car key will use the NFC feature that receives just enough power from the reader to allow authentication, without having to use your phone’s CPU.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I don't see any need for this capability - your car has to have the right sensor and equipment for this to work and I'd guess those cars that do already don't need you to take anything out and do something to unlock and lock. Have had a couple of cars that I leave key in pocket - touch handle as if you are opening door with hand and it unlocks - touch outside of handle and it locks.
Why would I need anything else or something I have to take out and put near.
Again, the cars I know that have sensors needed already have hands free capability

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I don't see any need for this capability - your car has to have the right sensor and equipment for this to work and I'd guess those cars that do already don't need you to take anything out and do something to unlock and lock. Have had a couple of cars that I leave key in pocket - touch handle as if you are opening door with hand and it unlocks - touch outside of handle and it locks.
Again, the cars I know that have sensors needed already have hands free capability

Exactly. The point of this functionality will simply be to have one fewer thing to carry so long as you already have your phone with you.

iLive

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2012
Denmark
Thanks for your feedback. I think this shows how a concept should be the result of proper UX work first. ?

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I agree. My car does this already, I go to open the door as normal & it unlocks on its own without having to press anything. To lock I just tap on the door handle.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
cmaier said not having to carry a key - I really never thought of that and maybe someday but if the car key is as reliable as ApplePay - then it isn't yet. Also, getting a phone out of a pocket, etc and verifying who you are just isn't that easy in cold weather or bad weather. Leaving the key in my pocket and touching door handle seems easier - but time will tell. I"m sure someday we will have 1 device that does all sorts of things so we can carry less.

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
cmaier said not having to carry a key - I really never thought of that and maybe someday but if the car key is as reliable as ApplePay - then it isn't yet. Also, getting a phone out of a pocket, etc and verifying who you are just isn't that easy in cold weather or bad weather. Leaving the key in my pocket and touching door handle seems easier - but time will tell. I"m sure someday we will have 1 device that does all sorts of things so we can carry less.
The technology is completely different than Apple Pay. It’s essentially the same technology as used in cars like the Tesla Model 3. It will work fine. And, remember, it will work with Apple Watch, so no need to take anything out of your pocket.

Also, there is no need To verify who you are. It will work the same was as it currently supports transit. Just pass near the reader, even if your phone battery is dead. No verifying your ID. Nothing like that.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Didn't mean that it used same tech as ApplePay - just that ApplePlay works 75% of the time and then it doesn't at same store it worked before. Has to work 100% of time before I'd count on phone.
I guess I just don't understand the need - for cars that will support this in the short term I already have this function without taking phone out. Carrying a small fob with the rest of my keys just isn't a big deal. We'll see in a few years

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Didn't mean that it used same tech as ApplePay - just that ApplePlay works 75% of the time and then it doesn't at same store it worked before. Has to work 100% of time before I'd count on phone.
I guess I just don't understand the need - for cars that will support this in the short term I already have this function without taking phone out. Carrying a small fob with the rest of my keys just isn't a big deal. We'll see in a few years

The advantage of this is not having to carry a key fob. The only thing i carry now, apart from my iphone, is my car keyfob (With no keys.). Would love to not have to. A secondary advantage is if I need to let someone else drive my car I can message them the “key”

Reactions: Itinj24
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.