Concept design for the new iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by anti-microsoft, May 6, 2012.

1. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

Hi all,

Based on the recent information published by iLounge and the recently posted concept by a forum user at The Verge, I decided to create these images to further illustrate the size of an iPhone with a larger screen and aluminium back.

I am aware that for such a design to work there would need to be an area designated for the antennae but I decided to not add that this particular detail to the design. I might add alterations further on.

Hope you enjoy.

PS: I had originally prepared high resolution images but for some reason Photoshop is exporting them with a stretched aspect ratio. That's why I only have these low resolution screen caps to show you. If anyone knows a solution to the problem I would really appreciate it.

Attached Files:

2. MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

The unibody design looks nice but is electrically impossible; antennas cannot radiate through metal, and the case could not provide the function of a properly tuned antenna or multiple antennas without at least being segmented.

A display of 1152 x 640 would be wider than 16:9, I doubt Apple would create such a display.
    I think 1138 x 640 is more likely for the following reasons:
    the ratio is 16:9
    there is enough room for an additional row of icons
    the display size is 3.96"
    the "forehead" and "chin" dimensions can remain the same as other iPhones.

Attached Files:

3. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

Pictures taken with the built in camera would look bad, with two huge black bars when landscape mode

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

5. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

I mentioned the limitations of the design in the original post. Good points you have there regarding screen size and forehead and chin dimensions. I chose to use the 1152 px vertical dimension since it was used by Timothy Collins, the user on The Verge, but the dimensions you mention make more sense.

6. MacAgnostic macrumors regular

MacAgnostic

They currently get scaled and cropped (from 4:3) to fit the 3:2 screen.
    I doubt this would change for a wider screen.

7. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

Great mockup. Reminds me of how the iPad looks and I would love the look of an iPad only smaller in a phone for factor. I agree with MacAgnostic, the 16x9 would make more sense than what the user on the Verge said.

8. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

Agreed, I seriously hope it doesn't end up like that.

9. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

great work on the mock up. I hope the back turns out to look a lot like this, and brings back the slightly curved back of the 3GS.

10. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

Plus, from a marketing perspective Apple could still say it's a 4" screen. They do it with the iPad: it's screen is a 9.7" but they still say in their presentations that it is a 10". So from 3.99" to 3.96" is not going to make a huge difference in that respect.

11. Syk macrumors 6502a

Looks good but I hope Apples makes it a bit wider and taller instead of just a taller design.

12. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

That's funny, I've never been bothered by these two black bars on the sides of my photos:

[​IMG]

You're saying that a different amount of black bars on either edge is going to really make all the difference? I'll also point out that I am not bothered by the black bars on the tops and bottom of the screen when shooting video.

13. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Nice work. I like the unibody look, and it looks much more comfortable to hold than the current design.

As for signal problems, what about making the Apple logo larger, and made of a radio transparent material so that the transmissions pass through it?

14. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Same. I'm not sure why people want it to just get taller

15. One Bad Duck macrumors member

One Bad Duck

Aerial difficulties with the aluminium backing

Ahh I've just had an idea...

I know this is radical but I know one place on the back that isn't aluminium - The Apple Logo! Could they stuff the aerial behind there?

Problem solved?

EDIT - O someone beat me to it - but the point is a good one.

16. djrod macrumors 65816

djrod

That's a lot of black bars or missing picture if zooming in…

[​IMG]

Maybe they go the 16:9 route for taking pictures, who knows...

17. MF878 macrumors regular

MF878

Am I the only person here who supports this taller screen idea?

18. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Nice work, but that tall, skinny design is horrid.

19. anti-microsoft thread starter macrumors 68000

I too am not completely convinced on the “tall” screen. The thing is, I’m not completely convinced on a larger screen with the same aspect ratio and resolution either.

Apple would have to change the UI Guideline for iOS since buttons and icons and touch elements would be physically larger. I also don’t see what other advantage this brings apart from a new “spec” to market the newer iPhone. Sure, you’d get larger text that’s easier to read, but apart from that I don’t see any other advantage.

With a taller 4" screen, on the other hand, you would have an optimised aspect ratio for viewing and shooting HD video, more screen space both physically and in pixels, more space for apps on the homescreen, etc.

I think that Apple has enough resources, common sense and sense for “what is right” to make the appropriate decision.

----------

You have to take into account that the camera interface has a "taskbar/actionbar/whateveryouwanttocallitbar" at the bottom so that could fill the black space at the bottom. Maybe they'll add another "bar" at the top to fill in the black space at the top. They could house the grid, HDR, Flash, Camera-switch options there.

20. barredfreak macrumors 6502

I like your work, but I am not a fan of the tall screen. Sorry.

21. andyx3x macrumors 65816

I don't think I would buy it.

22. iansilv macrumors 65816

Nope- I like it.

23. Mortalias macrumors 6502

Mortalias

I don't care about stretched screen size or black bars.

Just give me an aluminum back with tapered edges. Please.

24. Dangerdog3000 macrumors member

I thought the taller 4" design would actually look decent and work, but after looking at the concept art i'm not too sure about it. It kinda looks funky, and not in a good way. They definitely need to adjust the width and make it slightly wider.