Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VinceH

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 3, 2010
I don't *think* I ever had an Apple Music subscription. All my music is either ripped from CD or in some rare cases, Amazon Music. Now I'm getting an email from Apple that says,

"Keep the music playing.
On February 10, your Apple Music subscription will end. Stay with us to avoid losing all your playlists, settings, and the music you’ve added to your library.

I have never synced my music to iCloud nor will I ever, but can Apple go in and nuke all my "playlists, settings, and the music you've added to your library."

Really? Do I need to back up all my music?

I'm an old hand with Apple and iTunes, this threat freaks me out.
TIA, Vince

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I keep all my music files (100% mp3, many tens of gigabytes, I don't own an Apple music file) on a separate drive dedicated for that purpose (as an archive under my own control).

I suggest you consider doing the same.
I don't subscribe to ANY "online music service" of ANY kind.

Last edited:

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Have you confirmed the email is really from Apple?

When I get emails for services I don't have (or don't think I have), I assume it's phishing bait until proven otherwise.

TinaBelcher

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2017
No one buys music these days. Either they share a Spotify account with 4-5 other people so they don’t have to spend a lot of money or they pirate their music libary. There, I said it. Lol

Reactions: Gonzbull

mistame

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
Is it possible you, or someone with access to any of your devices, accidentally started the 3 month free trial for Apple Music via one of the popups offering it? It sounds like that's just the standard end-of-trial email trying to get you to continue. Either way, any music you have on your computer that isn't labeled as "Apple Music" in iTunes won't be "nuked". Any music you added from the actual Apple Music catalog (which sounds like was nothing for you) will no longer be playable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.