concern about buying antiglare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maeglutz, Sep 2, 2009.

1. maeglutz macrumors member

So I DEFINITELY need a new computer, because my 17" powerbook g4 just isn't doing the job.

the thing is, i am worried that the antiglare screens in the new 17" macbook pros have the same defect my current laptop does-- this is the defect i am talking about: http://appledefects.com/wiki/index.php?title=Powerbook_17

you can see a screenshot of my current screen here: http://unbroke.org/screen.pdf

so my question is, does anyone think that the new macbook pros have the potential to have this defect? aree they made the same way.

I really dont want the glossy. eventhough it appears sturdier, i don't care what anyone says about "blackest black"-- you should NOT see reflections of your background while you are working on your computer.

FURTHERMORE...
    i know this is an annoying question....

I want to know if NOW is the right time to buy the 17" antiglare. I would buy it refurbished regarldess, which is pretty "cheap" but i would hate hate hate if in 2 months new revisions came out or if there was a big pricedrop. does anyone forsee a pricedrop or new revisions before the end of the year? it's like, i can't take this screen anymore and i dont even have any design apps on it because i had to reformat the computer and lost everything and now i'm running os 10.3.9 and this computer is basically useless except for posting to the internet. but i will suck it up and wait and work from my WORK computer for a few months if it means a major revision or pricedrop in the near future. thanks kids.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

There will be an update at the beginning of the new year. Considering what you are buying though, it's going to be a matter of finding them in the refurb store because the anti-glare is now a BTO option.

A couple of other thoughts:
    1. What is the screen defect?
    2. What does the antiglare have to do with it?

3. Hannify macrumors member

I've been through more defective 17" unibodies than I care to recall, but I have never seen an instance of the screen defect you link too. I think that particular problem is pretty specific to the PPC machines of that generation.

4. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

yeah true, if the revs came out, i would have to wait a couple months for them to show up in the refurb...
    what does bto mean?

i dont understand your first question, but in response to #2, the antiglare screen appears to be the same kind of screen used in the powerbooks so i am concerned they will end up having the same problem. apple never admited to the powerbook defect and there were a ton of angry users that never got help from apple regarding their screens
    here's another link:
    http://www.geocities.com/surfithead/pblines.htm

5. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

oh my gosh. were the defects all the same or all different?
    did you have problems getting them replaced or was it pretty easy? and did you buy refurb or new?

6. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I understand that it was the dreaded lines syndrome. That seems to be corrected, the lines were caused by the inside of the display the anti-glare screen is simply just a different type of glass, the panel is identical.

Also, I do not see the problem on yours.

7. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

8. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

you dont see the 100+ vertical lines on my screen shot?? that's all i can see.

9. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

10. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Its your screen! Not the computer itself. So it wont be on a screen shot, you'd have to use a camera! :eek:

11. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

omg! i just realized that my screen shot doesn't display the lines (cuz i was moving the pdf across the screen and it didn't show them) so i guess the lines are EXTERIOR

12. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

If you take a screenshot it will not show any physical defects. No, your screenshot does not show the vertical lines. And the issue is just for that version of the PowerBook, I've not heard anything of it affecting the current generation MacBook Pros.

13. Hannify macrumors member

Except for a couple repeat offenders, I had different issues each time. Some were fairly minor and run of the mill (dead pixels etc.), some were much more severe (DOA super drives, and HDD's), and some were simply bizarre (LCD cross talk, something I haven't seen since the mid 90's!).

The cross talk issue I was having was the last straw for me. They swapped my LCD but it came back with exactly the same issue. Upon inspecting the 17" machines they had on display in the store, they also exhibited the issue. So I ended up "donwgrading" to the 15", which was flawless from the moment I opened the box. Go figure. It seems that the cross talk problem will not affect your 17" since you're getting the anti-glare, which uses the samsung panel (all mine had LG/Phillips variants).

Swapping the machines was pretty easy, all things considered. If you jump on things quick and call apple care directly, you shouldn't have much trouble.

14. yargk macrumors member

You can't be serious.

15. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

since i am not a hardware nerd, yes i was serious. i just program and design things and occassionally swap out ram.

i still dont really understand this defect cuz i thought dead pixels were an interior program.

to add to your shaking your head at me, my friend is going to look at this computer tomorrow (and you will have to excuse my terminology) because he thinks that since more lines pop up every time i shut and reopen my computer that a "nerve" is being pinched and if he can relieve that pressure my screen may go back to normal... which will at least alleviate the time i have to wait to make my final purchasing deciision

16. Hannify macrumors member

Dead pixels are completely physical. They are transistors in your display's electrode layer that aren't performing properly.

As for the "nerve" idea, your friend is probably thinking the ribbon cable has been damaged from too much flex. This has nothing to do with pressure, but with the wires becoming frayed. Replacing the ribbon cable might work; but it might not. It's hard to say what exactly is causing the defect. Don't let your friend get too ambitious- It would be a shame if he broke something worse than what you have now.

17. pprior macrumors 65816

LMAO, total FAIL!

Why even compare a powerbook G4 to the current LED backlit screens.

It's like asking about a 1970's ford mustang and wondering if the 2009 version has a leaky distributor cap problem....

18. maeglutz thread starter macrumors member

lol. do you have a girlfriend? not an internet gf or a frightened lady you wave to from your cubicle at work?

apple has never acknowledged the powerbook defect, so to me that's like tacitly saying "nothing's wrong and we will continue to build them this same way."

whatever. nerds.

thank you hannify, ibookG4user, patrickdunn and the goldenmackid for your intelligent, non-nerdy replies.

19. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Geez.... totally off topic.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Apple rarely acknowledges defect. They a lot of times will replace computers that are affected by a known issue, but without issuing an official announcement. iPhone case cracking is an example IIRC.

21. pprior macrumors 65816

Ok then.

/amplify fail +1

Does anyone really use the term "nerd" anymore?

My point stands - why in the world are you even comparing these displays? They are light years apart in design.

And no, I don't have a girlfriend. My wife of 15 years and our two kids wouldn't approve. :rolleyes:

22. ChrisA macrumors G4

How could a coating on the screen have anything to do with defective pixels?

23. Scottsdale macrumors 601

Scottsdale

Do you not like the glossy displays? They have much higher quality and better gamut. Unless you hate them, I think you should give them a look.

Good luck.

24. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Geez, no need to be like that, kid:p. Anyway, have you ever considered it's your GPU failing?

25. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Pownage:D.

To the OP:

Anyway, yes, take a look at the glossy displays. Unless you are working under Apple Store-like lights or outside, you shouldn't notice much of a difference. As long as the light source is not straight behind you, glossy should be fine. The color's also better. I can back this up because my eyes are sensitive and I got a MASSIVE headache looking at the glossies in the :apple: store, but I haven't had a problem at home yet, even in this naturally lit room. Also, if you can hold on, Arrandale's supposedly coming in a couple months.;)