Concern - Seemingly High % of Defective MBP's / MBP's With Issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by korpanopoly, Mar 4, 2008.

1. korpanopoly macrumors newbie

Firstly, let me start by saying that I have just purchased my very first Mac (base model MBP) after being a long-time PC user. Additionally, I am brand-spanking new to these forums – so, please bear with me!

As another member pointed out, “It seems that I hear / read a lot of reports of defective products here... is it because we as a group are self selecting as people with problems?”

I have read posts of individuals returning their recently purchased MBP three and four times in the first week.

I am a little concerned as I have purchased my MBP off of the Apple site given that there are no Apple stores anywhere near me. I (unfortunately) do not have the luxury of walking into an Apple store and exchanging my computer three or four times.

Just a few of the issues that appear to be popping up since the release of the Penryn MBP’s are:

- reported awful Wifi reception / performance
    - defective excessively noisy fan
    - yellow tint problem on lower 1/3-1/4 of the screen

Are there any other issues that I should be concerned about / looking for once I receive my MBP?

Am I being ridiculous and overreacting?

2. matperk macrumors 6502

If it helps...mine's perfect :-D.

Like many have said, it's the people who have problems who seek out places to get them figured out. The ones who are having no issues don't usually come around here.

3. higham macrumors newbie

what you got to remember is that most people only come on here when they have problems. im on my first mac now which i purchased straight after the macbook pro update. i have got no problems what so ever no wi fi problems no yellow problems and fans are silent. i stopped myself from buying one last year due to the yellow screen thinking everyone had a bad screen. Most likely you wont have any problems if you cant see a dead pixel or the yellow screen on your mac just with normal use, dont go looking for them.

4. kwjohns macrumors 6502a

kwjohns

Yup. Only people having problems bring up said problems and also MacRumors posters no where even closely reflects a large percentage of Mac users in general.

5. billmister macrumors 6502

Thanks for posting this thread.

I to, purchased a Macbook Pro 15.4 inch 2.4gzh with 250gig HD with 2 gig Ram (penryn) intel core 2 duo.

I purchased It on sunday (March 2nd) and am awaiting for it to arrive. I think it said expected shipping march 4th-6th.

After reading some of the posts here, i hear about all the yellowing, and the wi-fi loss, etc... after reading all of that i am starting to think i should of ordered a blackbook instead, or even return it and get a blackbook. I own a iMac of which till this day i have zero problems with. I use it and all is good. I wish my Macbook Pro will be the same. I guess we will never know unless i get it, open the box and turn it on.

Also i didn't get applecare, but that yellowing and wifi is good enough reson to get it replaced correct?.. there is a apple store near me, but i got it customized with 250gig HD.

6. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Got my MBP on Jan 21 and so far no problems with it.

7. billmister macrumors 6502

is yours the new one with multi touch? or previous?

8. Maxxx85 macrumors member

I am also a "Brand-Spanking new" member to the Mac family. I got the new MBP the first day it came out abou a week ago. Im loving every second of it. I have yet to have any problems with the Notebook and feel like I have been using the OS for years (thats just how easy and quick you pick up on it). So far my only real concern is the Battery becoming really hot. Im nervous that it may damage chips inside the laptop. Can anyone else reply to if yours gets very hott as well. Talking like too hot to lay on your lap sometimes.

9. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

Have to say that I have had MBP's and Macbooks, had a noisy fan, took it back to the store, they swapped it out immediately as soon as they heard it.

Whether its a Apple, Dell, or whose ever, electronics break, poor quality control or no quality control.

For me I have been VERY VERY Happy with Apple. If ordering a system I would never ever order by means of Ground shipping unless you do not care how long it takes for things to get to the final destination.

Apple care on the phone has been fantastic, only issue was holding for an Apple engineer for 10 minutes, but still he fixed the problem. Apple's pricing is a bit on the high side but hey buy used, or refurb.

BOL on your new Apple computer and welcome to the forums

10. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

Its just a law of numbers... there are more mbps being sold, hence there are more with problems.

Its simple mathematics..

11. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It is the previous version.

12. Achiever macrumors 6502

Achiever

From what I have read elsewhere on these forums (search the threads for MBP heat issues) the Penryn MBPs do not get nearly as hot as previous versions. The heat, from what I understand, is much more manageable. If you search some of the past threads you will find folks who reference heat tests you can run to see if yours is ok. A defective machine is possible, but some heat on the bottom of the MBP is also to be expected. Hot enough to burn your lap is not to be expected on the Penryn models. Older models, this appears to be the sad reality.

To the OP: Welcome to the Cult. I would expect you will throughly enjoy your experience and wonder how the hell you ever lived so long on Window$.

13. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

I've had 2 12" PowerBooks, 2 MacBooks and I'm now on my 3rd MacBook Pro - all since 2005 - and the only time I ever had a problem with any of them that required me to visit a genuis bar (or get any type of hardware support) was when the battery in my first MBP began to warp.

Wow.. I've gone though ALOT of Mac's in the last 3 years!!!

Anyway - people don't tend to take the time to say when somethings working, only when its not. There's always a chance of getting a bad product no matter what your buying but I don't think its really a high percentage.