Concern with charging cable with IPad 2 not meeting flush / potential issues!

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by JodyK, Mar 12, 2011.

1. JodyK macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Ok so I plugged the iPad into it's charging cable very late last night as I stayed up playing with it and doing mental comparisons against the original iPad. I wake up this morning and pull mine off the charger and the charger felt very loose. I unhook it and plug in my wife's new iPad 2 and look closer at the connection ...

The cable does not sit flush with the charger and some metal is exposed on the charger. I see this as a possible fire hazard and could also see people snapping their chargers off on the iPad trying to unhooked the cable.

Anyone else notice this / concerned / etc?

2. walterwhite macrumors 6502

walterwhite

The metal part you are seeing is a shield... the power connections are inside of that (30 pin connector)... anyway, the voltage/current in that connector is low DC voltage, not 120AC home current.

3. newdeal macrumors 68020

It's almost like the head of the cable needs and angle to it, I also found it very odd that it didn't insert fully into the iPad 2

4. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

it's just part of the drawback of having curved edges. I just don't like that it'll introduce wobble, but in all honesty it's probably never going to be a big deal. It's no different then the headphone ports on many idevices

5. JodyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

JodyK

You would think that Apple being Apple would have

A. Designed this a little better or
    B. Made a curved end connector to make us all run out and buy up all new connectors, chargers, car chargers etc.

6. djc6 macrumors 6502

Or

C) Put a flat spot right there for the connector would be inserted flush.

7. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

but then you'd lose the magical tapering effect that makes it look thinner than it really is.

8. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

IPod touch 4g has this same issue, always worried me a bit as well. You would think something would snap off or bend....

9. gravytrain84 macrumors 6502a

gravytrain84

10. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

if it was $10 no one would complain. It's a device that STARTS at $500 and I'd be willing to bet that's a significant amount of change for the majority of people who buy it. They just want to get the best iPad for the money. No harm in that. The whole point of an enthusiast forum is to talk about the devices INCLUDING complaining about them. If you don't like it, get out. (I realize that sounds kinda hypocritical considering people complaining about people complaining is also to be expected, but I already typed all this and don't wanna throw it away.)

11. JodyK thread starter macrumors 6502a

JodyK

Well put ... Not whining at all ... Huge Apple fan who bought 4 iPad 2's for my companies officers ... But the connecter feels "cheap" for lack of a better word ... Flimsy and un Apple like. It just worries yeah a bit. I take good care of my stuff but I can't speak for the other 3 I gave them too. I am worries someone might pick up the iPad while plugged in and the connector buckles and snaps the port.

12. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

This, the speaker, and the camera are the few things I hate.