Concern with hard drive space since getting iPod Touch 2g

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by tdmom, Feb 17, 2009.

1. tdmom macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I (finally) got my very 1st ipod ever about one month ago. It is the iPod Touch 2g, 16gig and I'm enjoying it so very much! :)

I've been searching through these forums for the past few weeks and enjoying all the info I've been learning, but now have a question.

I went to use the disk defragmenter yesterday and was shocked when it said it didn't have enough space to perform.

My pc is a laptop with 27.9gb capability and the os Windows XP . I discovered yesterday, that my used space has soared upto 26.7gb.

Before getting the ipod, I was no where near this limit--is this because of the ipod? Also, what do I need to do to assure my pc will continue to run properly? Thank you for any help.:)

2. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Have you maybe been copying lots more CDs to your computer, or downloading music in preparation for your new iPod? iTunes will backup your iPod but only the 'non-music' files and settings, it shouldn't take more than a few MBs.

3. tdmom thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your reply.

I don't own any CDs, so I don't think that is it (can you tell I'm a novice to this?).

I have gotten many apps from itunes as well as 4 podcasts and a lot of music from itunes as well.

Again, I'm a newbie to the ipod, how it functions, syncs, backs up, etc., so anyone's help would be GREATLY appreciated, thank you!:)

4. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

If you have any movies or large videos on your computer then maybe remove them. There's really not much you can do if you have a 30g hard drive besides delete things or get a bigger hard drive. I don't know if you're willing to dish out more money, but you can easily get at least a 100 gig hard drive installed for under $100.

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

You should try and keep 10% of your hard drive free too so the system can run smoothly and quickly (it helps when allocating space for all of the read/writes that go on). A bigger hard drive is always a good idea, especially if yours is a few years old, it may not have long to live...

6. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

You can just but an external HDD for your iPod. An 80-100 GB one won't cost you much more than $100 and then you can configure iTunes to store your files there instead of on your PC

7. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

Buying an external completely slipped my mind, but I think it is a much better idea for this person. If his laptop only came with 30g of HD space, my guess is that it's pretty old and you don't really want to upgrade an old laptop. Buying an external hard drive is your best bet. You can get up to 500g of space for under $100 if you search around good enough. Store all your media on there and that way you can always transfer it to any computer you will have in the future. Try newegg.com. Fast shipping, great customer service, and good products at good prices. And no, I do not work for them, I've just had many many great experiences buying from there and I'm a loyal customer.

8. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

If he/she looks hard enough, 500GB shouldn't be too hard for a full size external, I picked up a 1TB one from Dell last week for $96. But since it's a laptop, I always recommend a smaller one designed to be portable like a western digital my passport model or something like that. They tend to be more expensive per GB but the portability is nice.