Concerned about Apple Packaging

Discussion in 'iPad' started by klk5klm, Jan 16, 2014.

1. klk5klm macrumors newbie

Two weeks ago, I ordered an iPad 2, which was packaged according to the company’s meticulous standards. I ended up returning the iPad 2, opting for the iPad 4 instead. I received it yesterday, and noticed something different as soon as I opened it.

The shipping box was fine. The Apple box was wrapped in the usual cellophane and was slightly dented. Opening the box, I was surprised to see many bubbles between the unit and the wrapping. There was no typical tab to lift the iPad, and when I pulled it out, it looked like someone had applied screen protector on top, and hadn’t done a very good job of it. The back of the iPad was completely bare.

Concerned, I inspected the other items in the box. There was no plastic on the power brick OR the USB cable. The cable was bound by a white twist tie. The envelope which normally contains Apple stickers and a safety/warranty booklet included ONLY the quick start guide.

I bought the iPad as new in a “fulfilled by Amazon” situation. I called Amazon to confirm that my order was for a new product. A friend suggested that maybe Apple had relaxed its packaging standards, but I’m wondering now whether the product was actually used. Would you be concerned if you received a “new” Apple product packaged this way?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Trust me your iPad isn't new! Apple repackage referbs like new devices too.

What you have isn't from apple

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I think I'd send it back, OP. It appears that it isn't a new device.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'd return it, if it were me. While companies shouldn't resell returned or refurb items, it does occur. Just for peace of mind, its worth the hassle to return it.

5. eggersj macrumors 6502

eggersj

100% isn't new!!! I got a replacement ipad 4 from the Genius Bar back in august, and it was perfectly wrapped!

6. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Return it per instructions from Amazon. Make sure you tell them what is going on. I would also condsider posting feedback to the seller to warn others.

There is no way this device was new and packed like you describe.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed. Someone else had opened and returned that ipad to Amazon before you got it.

Note also "fulfilled by Amazon" means Amazon might have had it in their warehouses but it was a third-party seller.

8. klk5klm thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm thinking along the same line as all of you, but it's nice to be confirmed. It's going back! Thank you!

9. old-wiz macrumors G3

I always try to avoid the "fulfilled by Amazon" sellers and buy only direct from Amazon. I only buy "fulfilled.." as a last resort; they are often cheaper than Amazon, but it often means they cut costs or advertise a bit improperly or just hope you won't notice they are selling used stuff but calling it new. Way too many of the "fulfilled..." sellers are not worth the hassle of dealing with.

Yes, Amazon supposedly will make good on it, but you have to go through the difficulty of dealing with and arguing with Amazon returns people, possibly arguing with your CC people, and re-ordering with a more trusted seller. There are just too many ways the "fulfilled" deals can go wrong.

The "fulfilled by Amazon" is a nice idea, but too many of the sellers are just too low quality for my taste. I see some of the names that are listed and wonder how in the world those creeps managed to convince Amazon to allow them to resell via Amazon.

10. yoshimeow macrumors member

iPad doesn't come with a screen protector. It comes in a clear envelope like plastic wrap. Sounds like it's used and the seller just used a shrink wrap to reseal the box. Definitely not from apple.

11. ZipZap macrumors 601

Every Amazon listing has a "Who Supplied" and "Who Fulfilled".

Regardless, I have never had any issue with Amazon standing behind the sale and processing returns at their expense when appropriate.

My guess is that it was a return and the warehouse folks thought it looked unopened.

This thread is a bit silly as you posted here before you even called Amazon.

There are no Apple packaging issues. If anything, you might ask Amazon to be more careful about returns.

Do ask them to send the replacement overnight. You can process the exchange yourself online...they will ship the new one before you have returned the old as long as they have a credit card on file.

----------

This post is largely incorrect. The assessment of Amazon and items fulfilled by Amazon is wrong.

Amazon will take care of you with little hassle if they fulfilled the item. Call them if you want immediate help.

----------

Products provided by Apple and fulfilled by Amazon technically makes Apple a third party seller.

Its clear that most folks on this thread dont do much purchasing on Amazon.

I have NEVER had an issue when a product is bad.

12. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

i bought a refurbished iPad mini online and it was wrapped just as a brand new one so id send it back.

13. ScottW1 macrumors regular

This is horribly incorrect. For items sold by a third-party and "Fulfilled by Amazon", the return process is exactly the same as if it were "sold by Amazon". A few clicks and you are done -- there is NO arguing or discussion required with anyone. If it says "Fulfilled by Amazon", then the customer service and returns process is handled entirely by Amazon, just as though Amazon had sold it.

What you say is the case only for third-party sellers who are selling through Amazon AND shipping the goods themselves. Returns are then at the discretion of that seller. (And everything you say is true with regard to the sketchy nature of some third-party sellers doing business on Amazon.)

To the OP: You can easily return the item, and/or request a replacement. If you got a great deal, then I'd be inclined to say inspect it and check the serial with Apple, then if everything is perfect keep it. But if you paid for "new" and/or there is any suspicion there is any hint of something wrong with it, RETURN IT and get what you paid for!

14. old-wiz, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

old-wiz macrumors G3

I do buy a LOT of stuff from Amazon, and I hate getting involved in a return. I simply do not trust anything that is not sold by Amazon, regardless of whether it is fulfilled by Amazon or not. Too many of the 3rd party sellers on Amazon not up to the standards of Amazon itself.

I've had to deal with Amazon on the phone with delivery problems, and it's not an experience I would care to repeat. Amazon said a problem was the the delivery service and the delivery service said it was Amazon's problem. I hate having to deal with Amazon on the phone; they are simply a pain in the **.

15. ScottW1, Jan 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2014

ScottW1 macrumors regular

Regardless... Customer service for items "Fulfilled by Amazon" is handled BY AMAZON for shipping and returns, EXACTLY as any item "sold by" Amazon. There is NO DIFFERENCE with regard to shipping, returns, or credits between items "sold by" vs. "fulfilled by" Amazon. That's fact, and backed up by both their policy documents and from extensive personal experience. I have returned plenty of items, including those "Fulfilled by Amazon", and never had to make a single phone call - I just requested a return online and printed the return tag -- that's how it works with any item either "sold by" or "fulfilled by" Amazon.

So again for the OP: if it was either "sold by" or "fulfilled by" Amazon, there will be absolutely no question whatsoever if you decide to return it. You don't even have to talk to anyone; it can all be done right from your browser on your Amazon account.

16. DiCaprioAngel macrumors 6502

Just like the others have stated, definitely return it because you haven't received a new product. I bought my iPad through Best Buy online store and when I opened it, everything was packaged as Apple always packages their devices. For the money you paid for it, I would definitely ask for a refund and get another one.

17. deeddawg macrumors 604

So you're saying Apple has a seller account on Amazon? If so please post a link to their Amazon storefront. Otherwise, Apple is the OEM. You might be confusing the terms "third party source" with "third party seller"; they are distinctly, if subtly, different.

Agreed. Whether direct or fulfilled by Amazon, I've always had a quick and positive resolution to every issue.

18. ZipZap macrumors 601

Huh?

Anyone who sells their stuff via amazon is a third party.

Even Apple.

Aside from kindle, amazon has no products of its own.

19. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

It's not Apple packaging. Amazon probably got it back as a return and has some rule that if it's less than X days they still call it new. Or it was a third party who lied.

Keep in mind that the iPad 4 hasn't been officially produced in a few months so any claim of a new device is suspect. It is legal in most areas to sell refurbs/used items so long as you are upfront about it.

And there is risk that someone left the iOS 7 activation lock on and you'd be screwed. So go with a trusted source like Apple who makes sure it is off

20. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep, the trouble starts when it's *not* fulfilled by Amazon. Amazon's marketplace guarantee isn't worth the digital paper it's written on - as I found out recently.

21. Bear macrumors G3

Apple does not sell via Amazon. Amazon and other companies are selling Apple products via Amazon.com. There's a difference between manufacturer and vendor/seller.

And as for Amazon having no other products of their own... have you checked the Amazon Basics stuff? And Amazon is indeed the seller of a lot of stuff on Amazon.com even if they don't make it.

22. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

23. old-wiz macrumors G3

I wish Amazon would dump the less reputable sellers or at least warn people.

24. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It's not new and I would definitely leave this type of negative feedback about the seller. Enough of these schemes, the seller will get banned.

Just make sure you're not accidentally reviewing the product ;)