Concerned about MacBook Pro turning itself on

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AceC, Dec 10, 2013.

1. AceC, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

AceC macrumors member

I've heard a few cases where a MacBook (when shut down) will turn itself on, often in the middle of the night or at certain times. I shut mine down nightly (unplugged), and usually don't leave it on (in sleep mode) for long periods of time (longest time was 3 days, recently). It's not used to being on that long, so could the 3 days have messed it up? I just wonder if it's possible for mine to turn itself on in the night, and somehow overheat and cause fire?

If it helps, I have a Macbook Pro (2010).

I've heard of a few rare cases of that; what's the likelihood of that happening, or it even turning itself on?

I know I'm probably way overthinking things, but maybe someone can put things into perspective. Thanks.

2. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I often leave mine (Late 2011 MBP) plugged in and asleep and have never had an issue...until a couple of weeks ago. I went away for a few days for Thanksgiving and, as I usually do when I go away, I shutdown my MBP, closed the lid and unplugged it. When I got back home the first thing I did was plugged in the computer. Immediately I heard the startup chime even though the lid was closed. Apparently it started up normally because I opened the lid and had no issues using it (i.e. overheating, not functioning).

That was the first time it had ever done that and it hasn't done it since. Maybe it missed me and couldn't wait to say hello, lol.

3. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

I admit I do not have all the facts here, but here's my two cents anyway.

Waking from sleep: this is a well-known issue, typically caused either by connected peripherals, erratic bluetooth or softwares having schedulers (LaCie Silverkeeper is a classic).

Waking from shutdown: Have heard rare reports, but is usually related to erratic power (battery connector or mains). If it happens regularly in a MBP, there is reason to worry...

RGDS,

4. Sital macrumors 68000

Sital

I think this was the issue in my case. When I plugged in my MBP I noticed the green light was dimmer than usual. When I heard the startup chime I disconnected and then reconnected the MagSafe connector and the green light was back to its normal intensity. I figured at the time it was just a power glitch and hadn't given it any thought since until this thread.