Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Definition

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 22, 2009
I bought a MBP 13" (Mid 2009) and I'm a little concerned about its battery life.

It has been two weeks, 17 cycles and 98% health.

Additionally, I can never seem to get more than 3 hours of battery life while watching megavideo/youtube, IRC and firefox w/ wifi.

Is there something wrong with my battery or is this normal?

5361/5450 mAh

Thanks in advance for the help

Andrew Henry

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2008
I bought a MBP 13" (Mid 2009) and I'm a little concerned about its battery life.

Additionally, I can never seem to get more than 3 hours of battery life while watching megavideo/youtube, IRC and firefox w/ wifi.

5361/5450 mAh

Did you calibrate your battery?

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

5361/5450 mAh

Advertised 7 hours battery life is for light web surfing, not watching videos. Forget calibration, it's useless.

NewMacbookPlz

macrumors 68040
Sep 28, 2008
SnowLeopard, calibrating the battery is not useless.

I definitely saw an increase in battery life after calibrating as opposed to prior with my Unibody.

RandomKamikaze

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
UK
Agree with NewMacbookPlz, calibrating definately helps. It also helps the readings of the battery such as its state and provides a more accurate reading on time/percentage left

emilyland1326

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2009
Your battery health should increase after calibration (mine did) and watching videos, like others have said, decreases battery time, so its normal.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
You might try disabling flash ads in Firefox, there are plug-ins to do that. That should also help maximize your battery life.

I am finding that so far, my 13" MBP has great battery life. But even so, the 'time remaining' will swing wildy depending on what I'm doing. A web page with a lot of flash crap will send the number way down.

Right now I only have this page open, and time remaining says 5:39. That is at 71%, and I have been using the computer for awhile. So that's pretty great.

kai920

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2009
# Disconnect the power adapter while the computer still on and start running the computer off battery power. You may use your computer during this time. When your battery gets low, the low battery warning dialog appears on the screen.
# At this point, save your work. Continue to use your computer; when the battery gets very low, the computer will automatically go to sleep.
# Turn off the computer or allow it to sleep for five hours or more.
# Connect the power adapter and leave it connected until the battery is fully charged again.

When I connect the power adapter at the last step, can I use it while it's charging?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.