Concerned about not having an Apple store nearby

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by redvettez06, Feb 4, 2011.

1. redvettez06 macrumors member

For those who regularly use the Apple Stores, do you find having one nearby helpful if you have a lot of issues with your mac? Has anyone ever used a licensed 3rd party store? There are several here in Anchorage (Sadly...there are no Apple Stores in Alaska :( ) and I wonder how those compare to the Apple stores. It seems that people get very good service through these stores and I like the idea of having "experts" handy that I can talk to if I have a problem with any hardware or Apple software. Are they essential? Your thoughts on the subject pease! :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It's nice, but not essential. It's definitely not worth moving or being worried about.

3. simsaladimbamba

I have been only in one Apple Store in my life and that was in London. And I haven't purchased anything.
    Isn't there an Apple Authorised Retail Shop "nearby"?

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The only good thing about them is there's a place to take your computer for repair rather than having to deal with shipping it. I've found that their employees generally aren't any more knowledgeable than the morons you find working at Best Buy and the like - they're salesmen first and computer 'experts' second. I think you'll find more knowledgeable people at a locally owned mom & pop shop because they're not going to hire anyone who walks in off the street and aren't as concerned with making money as big corporations, and I've found that to be the case at any locally owned store no matter what it is that they sell.

5. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Most people who but mac's never have a problem with them. Many people bring their mac's to the stores just because it is convenient to have their question answered by someone instead of doing a little bit of research. For example, I was at an apple store once and someone made an appt because they couldn't figure out how to remove the disc image from their desktop. The genius showed the lady how to eject it and that was it. A waste of time for her and the genius. All she had to do was google.

With all of that being said, not having an Apple store nearby is not a big deal at all. Mac's are solid computers and OSX is the most solid OS out there. You most likely will never have to have a repair done and if you do, you will just have to ship it.

6. redvettez06 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick replies guys. Yeah, I planned on doing everything through Apple.com anyways (I could buy from Best Buy down the road but they have terrible customer service here). I worry a little about not having experts around to help with some of the software issues (Aperature, Logic, etc.) that may crop up but like you all said, there is probably better info on the 'net. Thanks again!