concerned about retina display was it a good buy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Sossity, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

I just recently bought a mid 2014 macbook pro retina, and so far am liking it, the screen is nice, however, I hope I have not made a bad decision, as I have read about all the screen issues, specifically of the anti-reflective coating wearing away, I don't live in a hermetically sealed environment and this could be an understatement, I live in a home with a smoker as well, there is not a lot I can do about my environment, but I am afraid my screen will do this too.

should I get one of those keyboard protectors by radtech or shaggy max that one places between the screen and the keyboard when the lid is closed? should I get a screen protector that applies to the screen? such as the moshiivisor?

2. BrettApple macrumors 65816

BrettApple

I've got a Late 2013 model that is 100% fine. As usual, most are just fine but the ones that are bad will get plenty of coverage. Fingers crossed for mine since it's only about 8 months old.

I would NOT put any kind of keyboard protector on it as the clearance between the screen and keyboard when it's closed is very little. And it can cause rubbing.

The retina MacBook Pro is a great buy all around. So I'd definitely not worry about that :)

3. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Don't stress. If anything goes wrong with it, Apple will fix it. I would say Apple Care is a must. Make sure you extend it before the first year if ownership, unless you plan to sell it.

4. ct1211 macrumors 6502

I was insanely lucky, my Late 2013 rMBP developed the screen issue out of no where six weeks before the warranty expired. Within a week it had spread across the screen. Apple put a whole new display / lid on it N/C. If you can snag extended Apple care, I highly recommend it. I baby my tech, I think it may have come from using it in clamshell mode while sending Netflix to an external monitor.

5. leman macrumors 604

All these 'issues' are usually massively exaggerated. In regards to the coating problem, here is an actual poll from few days ago: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1864185

I think the feedback in that thread speaks for itself.