Londoner1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
With the Samsung Galaxy S11 having a 108MP camera, 5x Optical Zoom, 50x Hybrid Zoom and a 100x Digital Zoom.

And the Huawei P40 Pro rumoured to be having a 64mp camera with 10x Optical Zoom, are you concerned that the iPhone is going to be left behind next year?

The iPhone still only has 2x Optical Zoom and it’s rumoured to still be that next year also.

Thoughts?

JPack

macrumors 604
Mar 27, 2017
Xiaomi already has a phone on the market today with 108MP and 5x optical. Last week, they launched a $299 phone with 5G, 120Hz display, and 64MP rear camera.

It's probably why Apple is moving to two iPhone launches per year starting 2021. Analysts have long identified this as a problem because new technologies come out far more frequently than once a year.

Comment

Londoner1982

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 24, 2018
I don’t understand why Apple launched the iPhone 7 Plus with 2x Optical Zoom and years later it’s still the same? 2x is getting old now!

Reactions: Freakonomics101
Comment

Nipommu

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Xiaomi already has a phone on the market today with 108MP and 5x optical. Last week, they launched a $299 phone with 5G, 120Hz display, and 64MP rear camera.

It's probably why Apple is moving to two iPhone launches per year starting 2021. Analysts have long identified this as a problem because new technologies come out far more frequently than once a year.
You DO know Xiaomi uses Samsung cameras right? This camera was made by Samsung and sold to Xiaomi. Most of technical internals you see on phones from companies like Xiaomi, Huawei, Oppo, Vivo, etc etc came from either Samsung, Sony, Panasonic, and so forth. All these Chinese garbage phone makers use parts tech parts from other companies just like apple. But Apple is Apple, it has brand recognition, it feels luxury, it feels nice so its ok. But these Chinese tech companies feel cheap and low end. Like I said before, Xiaomi and Huawei and other companies have no reason for being unless its cheap as hell. Because people would buy a samsung or an apple. Why buy cheap Chinese that have stolen patent and intellectual property? Absolutely no reason.

Comment

Super Spartan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2018
Dubai
With the Samsung Galaxy S11 having a 108MP camera, 5x Optical Zoom, 50x Hybrid Zoom and a 100x Digital Zoom.

And the Huawei P40 Pro rumoured to be having a 64mp camera with 10x Optical Zoom, are you concerned that the iPhone is going to be left behind next year?

The iPhone still only has 2x Optical Zoom and it’s rumoured to still be that next year also.

Thoughts?
you do realize that your eye cannot see any more clarity above 12MP right? so anything extra may be good for large photo printing but for the casual user, all it will result in is gigantic file sizes for photos and/or videos.

What I can't wait for though is for Apple to have a ToF sensor. See this video I made in the Gym with my previous Note 10+ where I could make everything black and white but have me in full color thanks to its ToF sensor although this can be done via software I wonder why Apple hasn't done it yet: http://instagr.am/p/B52CFtWJC4G/

Comment

808drums

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2017

Thoughts?

Number doesn’t means much. Be sure that the iPhone 11 line will be as good as this phones.

Reactions: E.Lizardo
Comment

3SQ Machine

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2019
Apple knows they've been getting bested. However, they're putting their efforts into computational photography and AI which they think (probably correctly) will produce net dividends in giving people what they "want" with photos rather than obsessively focusing on specific camera/lens specs.

Reactions: E.Lizardo
Comment

AustinIllini

macrumors demi-god
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX

Thoughts?
108MP. That's a ton of crappy pixels.

Not worried. Those numbers don't mean much of anything.

Comment

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Let me just add, that others on sites like this might be more technical/critical about the iPhone camera, because they see the competition around them and they understand all the considerations the iPhone camera offers. But Apples marketing will win every single time, because they show the consumer what they want them to see _and_ what they will understand. In terms of the iPhone camera being behind, maybe to an extent considering other competitors, but the average consumer that has no idea what a megapixel even means, the iPhone is still promoted as one of the most advanced cameras to date.

Comment

maxjohnson2

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2017
Specs doesn't say very much about quality. It seems post processing is where it's at these day when the size of the camera sensor and lens are still restrained.

Sorry I don't have the latest iPhones and I probably will get thumbs down for this, but in camera department my 2016 Google Pixel single lens beats the 2017 iPhone 8 Plus in the photo department, thanks to the Google's HDR processing. With "SuperResZoom", it can digitally sharpen objects just as well the iPhone's 2x zoom. And of course there's Night Mode, so I'm not missing out. I don't really care about wide angle very much, LG had it before everyone else before it became popular with Samsung and Apple.

If anything, this help me save money, I'm totally fine with cpu and camera performance of phones as they are now.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.