Concerned about upgrading to Leopard...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by snitchmarco, Nov 1, 2007.

1. snitchmarco macrumors newbie

Hi everybody,
    it´s my 1st post so i´d like to say that this forum is brilliant!

Ok, I absolutely want to upgrade and like I read about it here, an erase/install is how i would go about it.

What I´m concerned about:

1. If I backup applications, can I simply drag them back to the new OS? For example my carefully personalized Firefox, will it be the same if I put the .app and the .plist back in place? Is the .plist necessary? Are there more files to be backup´d?

2. What about widgets like "istat"? Will putting the widget file back in place work?

3. I would need a replacement for "Onyx"... Any suggestions?

4. Anybody know about After Effects CS3? As I understand it, it won´t be compatible with Leopard until someday 2008, right?

Sorry if this already has been covered (tried search), and thanks in advance!

2. hankolerd macrumors 6502

hankolerd

Now I realize a carefully personalized firefox is something you never want to let go of...But I strongly urge you to try Safari if you install...It starts really fast, seems to load pages faster, and with the use of the dashcode button you can make any rss feed a widget with about 2 clicks of the mouse. you can download a plug-in called inquisitor that when you type in the google search bar it pops up the first few found webpages just like spotlight does on the mac(about as fast to, not to mention Spotlight is instant in Leopard) and just by hitting enter it still does a regular google search.

There is a beta version of Onyx here:
    http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582
    that says it is Leopard compatible... I have never used this. Have you found it useful?? does anyone else reading this post recommend it?

I don't know if putting the widget file back in place would work.. It might, But I suspect you would have to find the ones you want and re-install...but maybe not. Tiger had a example widget called Framing Gallery, and when I installed Leopard it stopped working, I guess Leopard overwrote it or something...Haven't looked into it yet.

That's about all I have to help you out, I didn't really answer any questions directly, but hopefully this information will help you in some way.:apple:

3. snitchmarco thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thx for the reply!

Didn´t lookup macupdate/versiontracker because onyx is in the "apps not working with leopard" list... beta is fine with me.

As for onyx, i found it to be the very best free app for doing the maintenance things like forcing osx to perform the scripts and whatnot.

As for firefox, i´m addicted to "mouse gestures" ;)

Another app confirmed not working is "recycle" by propellerhead software (sample slicing app), which i happen to use daily :(
    Native instruments still haven´t confirmed on some of their programs...

And with After Effects not working i guess i´ll have to wait with the update, which REALLY sucks as i´m watching that features movie all over again and again and i really dig spaces and quickview and EVERYTHING ;)

Yeah, the widget question was kinda stupid i must admit, oh well...
    Appreciate your help though.

edit: there seems to be some problem with "rewiring" audio apps like e.g. "reason" to "ableton live", suuuuucks