Concerned over new Maverick system

Discussion in 'iMac' started by exupery, Jan 15, 2014.

1. exupery macrumors member

exupery

We have an iMac (21 inch) which we purchased about a year ago and I have had no major problems so far. However, I am thinking of buying another for my wife and understand it will be equipped with the Maverick upgrade. I have read a number of bad reviews of this upgrade and I don't want to have two computers with different systems because I will be the tech support for my wife and it will be enough of a challenge without the problems of using a later version of software on her new computer. (At this point I have no intention of upgrading my own computer and risking problems with my other applications).
    Any advice would be appreciated that does not include a major amount of technical expertise on my part.

2. CH12671 macrumors 6502

I've been running it on 3 different computers since it came out, and have had no problems at all.

3. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

4. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

For every 5 users with a bad experience with Mavericks, there are thousands of others who don't have any issues.

I say upgrade both systems and be done with it. Mavericks is not really all that bad.

5. BESLC macrumors regular

I just received my new iMac which is running on Mavericks, I think it is a great OS, with a lot of features.

Since 2007 I have run various OSX, I think Mavericks is the best so far that I have used. Just take the time to know the new OS and I think your concerns will end.

6. SeattleMoose macrumors 65816

Was also wary but finally updated 2012 Mac Mini last week. Zero problems to report!!! :D

7. ElectronGuru macrumors 65816

Did two installs this weekend. My issues are things like the invert colors key setup was moved to keyboard instead of right in accessibility. But this a relocation, not a loss of functionality.

If you're worried (and the reports do seem over represented), find a second drive. Install mavericks onto it, migrate your data. And with wifi off, play with your settings etc on it. If it sucks, erase the drive and reboot with your internal on 10.8.

8. Bear macrumors G3

My suggestion would be to get her the system and see how it affects what she uses. After you're comfortable with that, upgrade your system.

9. Bear macrumors G3

I'd say upgrade one at a time and make sure that it's working properly and no issues before upgrading the second computer. Or in this case, buy the new Mac with Mavericks and get comfortable with it before upgrading the existing computer.

You're right, most people don't have problems, but diving in on all the computers you own at the same time is not wise because if you do run into issues, then you have to revert multiple systems or try and find an immediate fix.

Different people, different experiences. I tried Mavericks for about a day then restored from Time Machine back to Mountain Lion.

10. toddzrx macrumors 6502a

toddzrx

Zero problems with Mavericks. Then again, I'm not what you'd consider a power user.

11. 2trout macrumors member

upgraded all of our Macs, mind you, they are all relatively young, apart from some minor initial e-mail/Gmail issues, which is now fixed, no problems what so ever.
    As one poster notes, for every problem installation, there are thousands that are not, as the saying goes, bad news travels much faster and gets around more than good news, I have no hesitation in recommending Mavericks.

12. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Of course....how could I expand on someone else's experience. That is my experience. I upgraded all the machines within a week and haven't looked back. Much improvement over ml

13. exupery thread starter macrumors member

exupery

Re upgrade to Maverick

Thank you all for taking the time to respond.

I used to be a lot more fearless before I retired and had to start paying for my own computer and software.

Presently I am using X Plane software on my iMac and I love having things work properly so that would be one concern I would have. The other, as I have said, is having two different systems and more importantly, the new one being on my wife's computer. Perhaps when we go to the Mac Store we can ask although I am a little wary of the quick assurances I am sure we will get.

14. Twimfy macrumors 6502a

Twimfy

The differences are so minor if you were to change the wallpaper so they were both the same I doubt you'd even be able to tell between it and Mountain Lion.

Snow Leopard on the other hand, well even that's not too much different. That's the beauty with OS X, it has stayed forever familiar.

Will never forgive Microsoft for changing 'Add/Remove Programs' to 'Programs and features' took forever for my brain to become accustomed.

15. elektrizitat macrumors member

This was the tipping point for me to OS X.

16. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Perhaps

the newer iMacs with SSD and/or fusion should run better with Mavericks. I am talking pure speculation here as I am thinking it is optmised for newer systems.

Mavericks nearly bricked my 2010 iMac last November and my system has not been running well since. Even with a clean install, it's frustrating.

My machine is dying (Image retension, dead pixels, yellowing, beach balling and weird start up/shut down symptoms causing me to run Disk Utility on a weekly basis now.)

I believe Mavericks is partially responsible for some issues (start up/shut down and beach balling while surfing the internet and/or using Pixelmator), but the internals are going and I can't blame that on OS.

Now, my issues aside, if I were in the OP's position I'd be more worried about display issues than Mavericks. It seems like this OS is optimized for newer systems. Running two different OS is something I've never done and I can understand the unease, but I would not worry about a new Mac with Mavericks.

I wish the OP luck and am sure things will be fine with whatever course you take.

17. MacM4ODA macrumors regular

can not get it to install

when i click on the "download" button, i get a screen that rambles about Maverick and displays another "download now" button i click and still no download, what next ?