concerns about installing apps on a mac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jas123, Oct 17, 2010.

1. Jas123 macrumors member

I often come across interesting apps or maybe scripts that people have written that I'd like to take advantage of. I never do because I am concerned about the safety of running these apps/scripts since they are not coming from apple.com or some other venue of similar nature.

For instance, as a recent example, I wanted to install an app, or whatever it is, to make the default mail application use a 3 column layout. The app is called widemail, and I think there was another one that I can't remember the name.

So my question is, How do I know if it is okay to install these apps? It seems that widemail is relatively popluar; but what about an app that might not be as popular? Are "all" things on macupdate.com safe? what about versiontracker? How can I decide if I should trust some person's code/script, on my computer?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Generally speaking, apps on macupdate.com or download.cnet.com (includes the former versiontracker.com) should be safe. If you have questions about an app, use MRoogle to search this forum for existing recommendations/comments on the app. If you don't find any, post a thread and ask here.

Beware of pirated apps (such as those from torrent sites), as they may contain trojans.

Mac Virus/Malware Info

You'll also find links to software recommendation lists here:

Helpful Information for Any Mac User