Concerns about iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad' started by daddy, May 4, 2011.

1. daddy macrumors member

I had initially read reviews that the rear facing camera was of poor quality. But having searched the forum I couldn't find threads discussing this. So I wonder if this is still an issue. Also, I was difficult to find "complaints" about the iPad 2. Is there a summary of the problems some where. I just may move from a 2nd gen iPod to iPad 2 if all is well with it. Any comments?

2. jmthigpen, May 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2011

jmthigpen macrumors regular

The camera's are intended for video chat only - apple just added in the camera app for fun. There are a few quality control issues with some iPad 2s at the moment but you can always take it back within a year to get a replacement if you have a yellow screen, washed out screen, scratches, or raised glass.

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I agree with jmthigpen response, but in addition here are some comparison photos between the iPad 2 and iPhone 4 that I just took.

iPad 2
    [​IMG]

iPhone 4
    [​IMG]

4. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

The cameras aren't great for still photos - I wouldn't rely on my iPad for my vacation photos. But if you just need a quick snapshot while you happen to be using your iPad, it works. They're really for video and videochatting. I wouldn't really base your decision on the cameras either way unless that is really absolutely vital to you.

The most common complaint is backlight bleeding, which you can find several threads about here. A few people have a serious enough problem that it interferes with regular use, but it seems like most people can see a bleed if they do the "test" but don't see it otherwise, in which case it's not really a problem. Other than that, there's the odd defective unit, but that's the only common complaint I've seen.

5. augforce macrumors newbie

I agree. I don't know why you'd want to rely on the iPad 2 to take photos. It works for casual shots that don't mean much but if you want quality pictures, use the iPhone 4 or invest in a nice digital camera (or some fancy software).

6. madat42 macrumors regular

Exactly, I don't see the majority of iPad users pulling out their tablet to take photos or videos. It's silly (and silly-looking):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. porcupine8 macrumors 6502a

Well, if your main goal is to show off the fact that you have an iPad 2, it's perfect.

8. poloponies macrumors 68030

I just picked up the Eye-Fi Pro wireless SD card. The better solution for getting hi-res images to your iPad quickly. Even if the iPad had a 10MP camera I couldn't see myself using it on the fly.

9. daddy thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the feedback. Call me crazy but I thought the iPad 2 photo had better depth of field and I really couldn't see much difference otherwise. Had not meant it as primary camera but also didn't want to get a useless gadget. My main use would be as with my iPod of note, apps, and recording audio which is somewhat difficult to do with my iPod 2nd gen as you have to have the ear buds connected for the microphone. I know this is much easier with the later iPods and presumably so with the iPad. Thanks again.

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Nice pics

Those donut things are making me hungry!!

I have a thing for donuts or any part of them!! lol

11. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

Is that table from Ikea? I think I have the same one! :p

12. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

It's useful in business settings, like for taking pictures of white boards and such.

Might be good for insurance adjusters or repair folks for adding a picture to a report.

It seems to take pretty good quality video. I can't tell the difference between it, and video shot by my iPod Touch g4. (might even be the same exact camera for all I know.)

I take most of my "photo" quality pictures with a Sony cybershot. It's got nearly twice the "megapixels" as the iPhone camera even.

The iDevice cameras are mostly just convenience cameras anyway. Not intended to replace a real camera for Portaits or Vacation photos.

13. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I have seen some similar desk like mine at Ikea (almost spelled iKea), I actually purchased mine from Office Depot like 2 years ago. My desk actually has clear glass, but I bought some frosted window privacy paper from Home Depot for like $15, and with just a little bit of water it stuck on pretty well and looks like the desk came this way.

[​IMG]

14. Stefx73 macrumors regular

How is a rear-fcing camera intended for video chat?

The Front-facing camera is the one intended for video chat. OP is asking about rear-facing.

15. psonice macrumors 6502a

The cameras are designed for video rather than photos. As a still camera, it's quite low resolution (0.9megapixels anyone?) and quite noisy. But honestly, an ipad is about the worst size and shape for a camera you can get, even if it had an amazing camera I'd still want something normal size + shape ;)

That said, there's always times when you want a quick photo of something, and you have your ipad handy. It's just about good enough for these situations.

(Shameless self-promotion!) I wrote camera boost, an app designed specifically for the ipad2 with the aim of improving the camera. It's possible to add lots of image enhancement stuff in realtime, right in the live view with the new A5 processor - that's where ipad2 photography gets exiting I think. You can do stuff that just wasn't possible on the iphone with all that extra power. If apple puts an A5 in the next iphone (and doesn't cripple the quite decent camera!) I'll go wild :)

16. jonnyb macrumors 65816

With Facetime you can switch to the rear camera during a chat to show your caller what you're seeing. It's fun and useful. A friend of mine was in Puerto Rico this week and I was in London. He switched the camera during a call so I could identify a bird that was flying above his apartment.

It was a frigate bird by the way.

17. poloponies macrumors 68030

Video chat is not solely for face-to-face talk, it's also about showing the other person something (or someone).