Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Okay, so I recently changed email addresses, and I'm a bit concerned with the status of my iTunes purchases. When I get info on a song I bought from iTunes, it still says that it's under my old email, and Im worried this will pose problems in the future.

munckee

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2005
Okay, so I recently changed email addresses, and I'm a bit concerned with the status of my iTunes purchases. When I get info on a song I bought from iTunes, it still says that it's under my old email, and Im worried this will pose problems in the future.

I think there's somewhere to change the settings on your itunes account. I switched not too long ago from hotmail to gmail and I know I changed it then. Sorry, I can't remember exactly where I went to change it, but I'm sure someone will chime in. :eek:

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
In iTunes:

Go to iTunes Store
Click on your account name, in the top right corner
Enter your password and select "View Account"
Click "Edit Account Info"
Change your apple ID

All of your songs will be transfered to your new appleID name

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Well, I was able to change my Apple ID without any hiccups, but I'm just concerned since the purchased songs didn't change. I'm sorry, I wasn't very clear in my original post.

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I think the way it works is that your account name remains the same (i.e. your old email address) but they contact you with your new email address.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I think the way it works is that your account name remains the same (i.e. your old email address) but they contact you with your new email address.

Are you sure? When I logged in after changing my email they wouldn't accept my old Apple ID, and I had to put in my new one.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Can you play your previously purchased songs when logged in with the new ID? If so, there's no problem.

Yes, I can play my previously purchased songs, I was just concerned that the email in the "get info" window didn't update to my new one, even after deauthorizing, and reauthorizing my computer. Oh well, maybe I'm just paranoid.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
Yes, I can play my previously purchased songs, I was just concerned that the email in the "get info" window didn't update to my new one, even after deauthorizing, and reauthorizing my computer. Oh well, maybe I'm just paranoid.

You're just being paranoid.

When I first started using iTunes, my AppleID was my .Mac address. When I decided not to renew .Mac, I changed my AppleID. It's been over 2 years now, and even though my songs have the old email, they still work without any issues. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
You're just being paranoid.

When I first started using iTunes, my AppleID was my .Mac address. When I decided not to renew .Mac, I changed my AppleID. It's been over 2 years now, and even though my songs have the old email, they still work without any issues. There is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Okay good. Thanks. :)

ghall

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
Okay, new problem now! I can't download the latest episode of the Office, even though it says that there's a new episode awaiting download on my manage passes list. Does this have anything to do with changing my email address, or is everyone having this problem?

Edit: nevermind I answered my own question. iTunes is just being weird.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.