Concerns on iPhone 6 Plus Downsampling???

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    As has been discussed on here, the iPhone 6 Plus downsamples the 3x 1242x2208 to the 1080x1920 display. This is explained here.

There have been at least one mention of potential issues from arstechnica

FTA:
    "We didn’t see any visible blurriness as a result of this scaling, though some UI animations and transitions seemed to be a little choppier than they are on the iPhone 6 or our iPhone 5S—we’ll need to wait for our full review to see just how the A8 chip handles the resolution change."

How concerned are you about potential issues with this?

2. LinksAwakener macrumors regular

While it may be choppy to start with, I'd bet money they'll fix it in an incremental update.

3. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

4. HJ24 macrumors regular

actually ip6+ is clocked a bit higher

5. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

If it looks like crap I will return it (rather sell it and make a profit). Then I will wait for the 6 to be in stock. Easy peasy lemon squeezey.

6. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

Do we have any confirmation on that yet, though? I'm thinking you're right but haven't seen any firm evidence.

:apple:

7. thadoggfather macrumors 604

thadoggfather

even so (if this is the case), a bit higher doesn't offset double pixels. This could *conceivably* and comparatively be the iPad 3 of iPhone

----------

Yeah go with the one you think you will prefer for sure. but I could argue same thing with 6 and if I don't like it, getting 6+

8. falcora macrumors 6502

I tested some of my companies apps in the iPhone 6+ simulator in xcode and they looked fine. If you look closely, you can see the images aren't as sharp as they should be since they aren't fully optimized for the new screen yet, but that is with a 6+ simulator the size of my retina display. I'm sure on the phone it will look even better. Of course, this says nothing for performance.

Bottom line, I wouldn't expect any apps to look terrible on the new screen. They should all look fine without any updates. Of course, most developers of major applications will take the time to update, and we will see razor sharp apps coming out with new layouts to take advantage of the larger screen.

9. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

makes me think of the ipad 2 vs ipad 3 thing. Games would run like crap on the ipad 3 because of the high res.