sahilmadmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
I just ordered a pair of AirPods Pro and I've seen a great deal of news regarding battery degradation on the first generation AirPods (2016). Any suggestions to minimise battery degradation on my new AirPods Pro so that I don't have to eventually get it replaced within the next 2-3 years?

seriouslyjaded

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
I just ordered a pair of AirPods Pro and I've seen a great deal of news regarding battery degradation on the first generation AirPods (2016). Any suggestions to minimise battery degradation on my new AirPods Pro so that I don't have to eventually get it replaced within the next 2-3 years?
Lithium ion batteries tend to degrade least when charged to no more than 80% and discharged to no less than 20%. So, to maximise battery capacity for the longest time, keep the SOC between 20 and 80%. Charging/discharging at very low temperatures is also not good. These rules generally apply to anything using li-ion batteries.

It’s a hassle though so just use and enjoy them and accept that they are (expensive) consumables.

Reactions: sahilmadmood
Comment

Jim Lahey

macrumors 65816
Apr 8, 2014
Sunnyvale
Worth considering that the Pros have different batteries to the originals. It remains to be seen if they will degrade at a similar rate. If we assume that they will, then you might expect two years of heavy daily use before their performance starts to suffer. That’s still not too bad if you calculate it as a daily cost, but it would probably be foolish to expect them to last for several years.

Comment

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
If you get two or more years of heavy use you should consider yourself lucky. The batteries are tiny and constant discharging and recharging will take a toll on them. $10 a month for two years isn't a unreasonable IMO..

Comment

acorntoy

Contributor
May 25, 2010
My original AirPods are 3 years old and still work perfectly. Maybe an hour or two less than while new. Hype of the of these batteries degrading overnight has been overblown

Comment

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
My original AirPods are 3 years old and still work perfectly. Maybe an hour or two less than while new. Hype of the of these batteries degrading overnight has been overblown
”An hour or two less” is pretty significant in my books.

Comment

acorntoy

Contributor
May 25, 2010
”An hour or two less” is pretty significant in my books.
Not when the charging case gives them another hour or two in three minutes. If they took forever to charge it’d be different. Gonna buy another pair when these can’t get through my workout and it looks like we still got 1-2 years left. They’ve lasted far longer than a cheap $40 pair of wired earbuds would have.

Comment

Ralfi

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
1 year turnover for $399 here is average

Where is “here”?

If you notice degradation within a year, take them to an Apple store - they may swap them at no cost.

In Australia, we have 2 years warranty on items like this, so after 20 months, that’s what I did, & had them replaced at no charge.

Not when the charging case gives them another hour or two in three minutes.

So long as you don’t mind those extra interruptions in your day. For me, I prefer to keep them to a minimum.

Comment

sahilmadmood

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 8, 2019
If you get two or more years of heavy use you should consider yourself lucky. The batteries are tiny and constant discharging and recharging will take a toll on them. $10 a month for two years isn't a unreasonable IMO..
Didn’t see it from this perspective, thanks.

Reactions: BugeyeSTI
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.