Concerns regarding late 2006 MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by furcalchick, Oct 8, 2012.

1. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

Just a bit of a warning, this is a bit of a long post, and a two parter.

First part. For about a year, the lighting on my MacBook's monitor has been flickering on and off at points, and I would have to adjust the brightness to get it to stay on, and sometimes it would go crazy again. About a week ago, the brightness trick didn't work, as it stayed dark, and I tried everything short of taking the computer apart to get the lights back on it. I can still see the screen (barely) and I can see the screen through an external display mirror. Also, the apple on the back doesn't light up. I think the problem is the inverter, which is cheap to get online, but I would rather have someone else handle the repair process. How much can I expect to spend and how much time should I expect away from my MacBook if I took it to the Apple Store? Could the problem be something else entirely and much more costly?

Second part. Last night, I was on the computer, and suddenly, I knocked the desk that the MacBook was on to the point where the feet of the table moved and the computer had a random restart, and I've been spending the next day in a bit of a panic that my computer is actually breaking down, or that I caused permanent damage to the machine. I also had my headphones, external HD and external screen hookup. There has been no problems since the random restart last night.

Thanks on both.

2. azentropy macrumors 68000

azentropy

Yep, sounds like the inverter or inverter cable or both. IMO you have a 6 yr old MB, probably not worth the cost to repair it any longer at an Apple Store, figure $250 min. You might want to check around for online repair which would be much less or give it a try yourself.