Concerns with iPhone 4 Battery

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by The Bronx Bull, Jul 10, 2010.

1. The Bronx Bull macrumors member

This strikes me as quite odd: I'll put the iPhone on the charger before I go to bed, where the battery will be at roughly 55%; I'll go to sleep, wake up 5-8 hours later, and the battery is at 91% or something similar. It doesn't happen all the time, but often enough. Why is this not charging all of the way?

Furthermore, last night when I was using the phone, I had it charged 100% at 6PM, and by 1AM I was down to about 31% - and this is with some use here and there, not the entire time. Granted, I was listening to music via Bluetooth, but I really don't think this would drain it that fast.

Anyone else having symptoms like the former? Should I make an appointment at Apple?

2. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Bluetooth can drain a battery fast on all devices. That's why I never use it.

3. The Bronx Bull thread starter macrumors member

This may be true, but I can attest to having similar issues whilst NOT using Bluetooth. And I can't see why this would "halt" my phone from charging to 100% when overnight in the cradle?

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

It may be charging to 100%. After it reaches that point the charger automatically cuts off the charge (or the battery would keep absorbing energy until they exploded). Maybe something is running to use battery. Do you have any background service icons in your top task bar?

5. reyno28 macrumors member

reyno28

Dude same thing has been happening to my iPhone 4. I have noticed that I put my phone on the charger before I got to bed. Sometimes battery is at 30%-60% and when I wake up 8 hours later its only at 90%-99%. What is with this issue. Is it not calculating the right percentage or what? I close out of everything before going to bed. I don't have bluetooth on, but I do have wireless and 3g on. Battery seems fine other than that, last a long time during the day.

6. The Bronx Bull thread starter macrumors member

This is what my original thoughts were, but I couldn't fathom how the phone would drain 9-10% just by sitting idle overnight. As for the background service icons, no. Everything is off, aside from Wifi. (I toggle Bluetooth when I need it) Most people don't turn off their Wifi and 3G when not using the phone, I hope?

7. JonB3Z macrumors 6502

As a test, try putting it in airplane mode when you put it in the charger, just to make sure it isn't doing anything funky via wireless/WiFi/BT. If it still doesn't charge fully, I think I'd take it to Apple for replacement.

8. haulis macrumors regular

Try recalibrating the battery. Is there a plug icon on the battery in the top right of the status bar when this happens?

Seems odd that something would be getting stuck and running. I would try a full restore before taking it to apple. They would recommend you do that anyway.

9. The Bronx Bull thread starter macrumors member

Aside from cycling the battery from 0-100%, is there another method to "recalibrate?" And yes, the plug icon is inside the battery icon.

10. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Doesn't happen on my 4, but, my 3gs and my wife's both had the intermittent issue of stopping charging before reaching 100%, when it happened, about 1 in 3 times, it usually stopped around 92%. It's not 4.0 either as neither were upgraded yet.