Concise Oxford for iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Devyn, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Devyn macrumors newbie

Where can you find great, well-written definitions for any word in the English language? An Oxford dictionary would clearly be a good place to start. However, who wants to carry around a large, heavy, old-school dictionary all the time? If you have the newest app that I found, you don’t have to. That app is the Concise Oxford English Dictionary iPhone app by Prelude Mobile.

This app is destined to be one of the greats. Its simple design is lightning fast and pleasant to look at. Prelude has really hit the mark on this one. It has the features you need without getting over complicated and slow. It consistently performs great and gives you definition you want without the wait time. The features are easy to use and appeals to common iPhone use. You will never be left wondering “How do I…”

After using the dynamic search capabilities to find the word you want, the definition instantly loads with no visible wait time. The digital definition provided is worthy of the high quality content it displays. There is no extraneous colored text or unprofessional fonts. Each definition is displayed nearly exactly as it is in a print version, in a size that is easy on the eyes which makes understanding the definition easier on the mind. As soon as the app appears, “clickable” words are displayed in a tasteful blue, indicating which word you can tap to look up.

This is not the first Oxford app on the iPhone, however it does seem to leave the rest in their literary nursery rooms. There are many functions which set this app apart:

• There is the incredible speed with which this app performs.
    • There is no wait time after you have clicked on the word you want.
    • A full pronunciation key is provided.
    • The layout and design is leaps and bounds above the competitor products.
    • No screen space is wasted in this app, allowing for a larger type font while displaying as much of the definition as possible.

This app is definitely a great find that you will use every day you have it. You can find this app by searching “Prelude Oxford” or you can click here. If you do download this app, what do you think about this app?

2. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

this week, touchmyapps will be focusing on several dictionary apps: come by and have a look -- nothing is the same as carrying around a 1,2 kilogram book but... again, nothing is the same as carrying around a 1,2 kilogram book ;)

all of the dictionary apps seem to have something worthwhile but i have been enjoying oxford: however, its interface is not among the better designed in the App Store.

3. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

American Heritage 4th Edition has been superb, especially after the update. I like it's ease on the eyes as well as it's extensive entries. It's a great help when I teach English using articles from newspapers and magazines, and also when reading some of the books I'm trying to get through.

4. Devyn thread starter macrumors newbie

shigzeo... I tried to find the dictionary reviews you were referring to and couldn't find them! Do you have a URL? (Ah, the old 1,2 kilogram print dictionary... :rolleyes: too true...)

Which Oxford product do you have? I am pretty sure that there are several developers with Oxford products. The interface on the one I have is pretty good, but maybe I am just new to this whole iPhone thing...

5. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

no, we are starting this weekend actually. we had a delay, were hoping to get them up earlier...
    i have the concise oxford english and the concise oxford english and thesaurus - great products though.

sorry: just checked the link and it is different from the one i have... time to whip out the wallet!

6. marcol macrumors regular

I have the Mobile Systems COED and have been very pleased with it. I chose it because it had the nicest looking interface (based just on looking at the app store pics). Besides being pretty it's also very quick.

7. Devyn thread starter macrumors newbie

To be totally honest, I was initially drawn to the Prelude Mobile COED for it's price, and was then very pleasantly surprised by the interface. It has been really professional and smooth to work with.

8. Astrobotanist macrumors newbie

I've got a friend who said that one lagged harder than a freight truck.

I happen to be quite fond of the Prelude Mobile one, been using it since it was released. :D

9. Minus Human macrumors member

Minus Human

I'm using this product as well and its quite dead on in terms of quickness.

I care so much less about the interface really. :cool:

10. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

as much as the oxford is the standard the world around, in the app store there appear to be better options. tomorrow, we will publish our review of AHD4, American Heritage Dictionary Version 4 and then go on Wordbook and finally end in a couple of Oxford iterations. Good but not quite good enough, however the price seems quite better than AHD4.

11. Devyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Looking forward to it... :)

12. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

Sorry for the delay: American Heritage is up. We have the OED that you mentioned now too and will have at it later this weekend. They are all good but honestly, I think the AHD4 is the best.

Best interface, best usage guides and a few other things. Please check out the review for more information. I hope it helps.

13. Devyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Just read the review and I must say, nicely done! I think it's one of the most thorough dictionary reviews I've read...

Keep us posted on the Oxford review. Are you writing about any others?

14. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

£11.99 for OED. Are you kidding me?

How much do those little mini dictionaries cost which you can buy in stores? This has to be cheaper than that because you aren't getting a physical product.

15. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

yeah, im busy with one dictionary per day until maybe tuesday or sunday evening - i tend to focus best at night. thanks for the encouragement.

as for pricing: they are not cheap - no, but versus a paper product there are some advantages.

firstly, much smaller and can fit pocket, train, desk. as long as you don't mind that it is not paper, no problem. easy and fast cross-search - very fast - immediate.

the same goes for pronunciation, history, all sorts of features.

if it were just the dictionary verbatim without any enhancements, no way would i pay (guilty) 29.99$ for one of these but it was worth it. some have thesaurus built in as well and voice.

sadly though, no oxford that is CURRENTLY out yet seems to hold a candle to the features and general ease of use of the AHD4 - American Heritage. we will see if anyone bring something really good to the table.

got about 4 oxfords (maybe more to go through) and most are... really lacking other than some decent definitions. im hoping a company like enfour will bring out an oxford that has what ahd4 has.

16. Devyn thread starter macrumors newbie

Keep plugging... :)

I like the simplicity of the Prelude version of the Oxford pretty well. It displays the Oxford content which no other can surpass (Oxford junky? That would be me...), it displays that content really fast, and is easy to read.

Not to mention you can find whatever your looking for in a 10th the time since your tapping an iPhone instead of flipping pages...

17. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

i am an oxford junky when it comes to paper - in fact would not use anything else, but with the invention of electronics, touchscreens etc, i think the folks who make oxford the best in the print world, need to hire real programmers to make an all-inclusive stop for oxford.

i think though: this functionality will come ... just wait for it.

18. Astrobotanist macrumors newbie

Disagreed, I find that "some decent definitions" is exactly what I'm looking for, though phrased a bit more eloquently than that.

That is to say, I don't want a dictionary application that takes 20 minutes to load, because it's loading 36 definitions for every word, (complete with derivations and idioms) which I then have to search through endlessly to find the definition I'm looking for.

Which is what I like about the Prelude COED, it displays only the few key definitions in easy-to-read format, with the included derivation. Rather than going on a crusade to define a word, I'd rather simplify the process. Call me crazy, but I actually dislike wasting time.

19. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

makes perfect sense really. like i said, i love the oxford and the dictionaries put out on the app store are decent and if you want quick definitions then they are good. some however are missing some more contemporary definitions. for instance, ahd4 had 'app' while some others did not.

not that app needs to be defined but...

each dictionary also loaded quickly: instantly actually. most remember the last search -- great. if you don't like ahd4, that is fine of course. but for the money, i think that currently it is the best buy.

20. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

sorry for the delay: i suffered a big hardware crash that put me 3 days behind schedule.

21. Lara F macrumors 6502a

22. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Oh wow! Enfour apps are polished. The American Heritage Fourth Edition Deluxe dictionary I have is great, the interface is excellent, the hyperlinks, sound, and speed of loading are superb. The Roget's Thesaurus that comes in the Deluxe American Heritage is a lot more limited than the Oxford Thesaurus.

I'll download the Oxford Deluxe tommorow and let you know how it is. I was seriously hoping Enfour would do an Oxford Deluxe someday (cause I trust Enfour's and Oxford's excellence). Thanks for the heads up! This'll be the best dictionary for teaching advanced classes as well as getting through a few of the books I'm battling my way through.

23. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

I just checked the app specs, and the Oxford Deluxe was 100 MB smaller than the American Heritage Deluxe. The American Heritage has over 64 000 sound files to Oxford's 44 000 sound files. I have on occasion found the sound files helpful (when I come across an uncommon word in an article that I'm teaching to advanced students).

24. shigzeo macrumors 6502a

shigzeo

if all goes well on the hardware front, 3 oxfords will be out for review this evening and on friday, the enfour version as well: it is phenomenal by the way -- head and shoulders above the others (in both price and features)

25. Gokunama macrumors 6502a

Gokunama

Oxford Deluxe by Enfour is as expected, beautifully done, fast, and full featured.

Just as expected, the Oxford dictionary itself defines words with a little more detail than AH4D does, and the Oxford Thesaurus blows away the Roget's Thesaurus.

AH4D shows MRI in search, however Oxford doesn't. Oxford has MRI listed as an abbreviation under Magnetic Resonance Imaging.

The other thing I noticed is all the words under a definition are hyperlinked, but that doesn't carry over to prasal verbs and phrases under a word entry.

The sound files are excellent.

First impressions anyways...